Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/3/2011 (3856 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The University of Winnipeg and the U of W Faculty Association have agreed to a media blackout as they try to avert the first strike by professors in university history.
The two sides began last-minute conciliation talks this morning.
The 350 professors, librarians and coaches in the UWFA are scheduled to go out on strike at one minute after midnight tonight.
UWFA spokeswoman Prof. Shannon Sampert said she did not know when the blackout would be lifted.
U of W associate vice-president of external affairs Dan Hurley said he expected the media blackout would continue until or unless the two sides had something to report.
Most University of Winnipeg services will remain open tomorrow if professors go on strike, the U of W advised students Wednesday afternoon.
In the event of a stricke, classes would continue as usual in the following programs:
- Collegiate (including the Model School)
- Division of Continuing Education
- English Language programs
- University courses taught by contract teachers who are not members of UWFA Main. A list of these courses may be viewed online.
As well, in the event of a strike, the following services will continue at the university, according to the university's strike-related information website:
- All campus buildings, usual hours
- All residences, usual hours
- Bill Wedlake Fitness Centre, Bookstore, UWSA Day Care, Diversity Foods — Pangea’s Kitchen, Cafe Bodhi and Malecon — as usual
- Library - Circulation, E-reserve, Document Delivery, Ready Reference, Bibliographic Control and Systems Services, available as usual
- University Archives, open as needed
Meanwhile, the UWFA plans a mass picket line at 8 a.m. tomorrow. Here’s what the U of W Faculty Association has told its members about behaviour on the picket lines:
- Comply 1st. Complain 2nd.
- NO alcohol or drugs.
- NO pets.
- NO children.
- NO anger or aggression.
- NO obstruction whatsoever.
- NO negotiation with media or public.
- Ask any Member not following direction or rules to report to Strike Headquarters. Report to the Coordinator.