Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 2/3/2010 (3775 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG — Matt Wiebe is the new Gary Doer but with a beard.
The former constituency assistant to Doer, before Doer stepped down as premier to become Canada's ambassador to the United States, is the new MLA for Concordia.
Wiebe, 31, won handily last night in a byelection outcome that surprised no one.
Wiebe took all 40 polls including the advanced, finishing with about 60 per cent of the vote.
The Elmwood resident and University of Manitoba economics grad finished well ahead of second place candidate Progressive Conservative candidate Brian Biebrich with 2,065 votes. Biebrich earned 694 ballots.
"This is an incredible dream come true," Wiebe said, standing next to Premier Greg Selinger. "I'm proud that he is my new boss."
Selinger said Wiebe's win confirms support for the NDP is solid in northeast Winnipeg.
"I think he will be an excellent MLA for many decades to come," Selinger said of Wiebe.
Biebrich said he found comfort in the support he got.
He also said he's considering running again in 18 months in the general election.
Liberal Judi Heppner got 613 votes and Green Party candidate Ellen Young finished with 134 votes.
Wiebe takes his seat in the legislature for the March 23 provincial budget and spring sitting.
Concordia has long been a safe NDP seat. Doer held it for 23 years as MLA and later as premier. NDP MLA Peter Fox held it for five years before Doer took it over.
The Opposition Progressive Conservatives have been mumbling since the byelection was called that Wiebe’s victory was inevitable. Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen confirmed that on Tuesday when he told reporters the party was not holding its breath on a possible upset victory in the NDP stronghold.
McFadyen said last night despite the second-place showing voter support this time around in Concordia is the lowest it's been since Premier Howard Pawley's NDP was in government two decades ago.
Wiebe’s victory also signals the lifting of a month-long gag on government announcements. Elections Manitoba forbids government funding announcements during a by-election campaign, but the Selinger government took it further to only allow the most critical news releases, such as last week’s first spring flood briefing.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.