Demolition soon to clear way for casino hotel
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/11/2010 (5745 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
THE former Days Inn hotel on McPhillips Street has a date with the wreckers ball within the next month or so, although Winnipeggers could be excused if they thought demolition was already underway.
Although a portion of the building’s facade is already lying in a crumpled heap, that was done as part of Operation Gold Rush — a round-the-clock training exercise the provincial fire commissioner’s office recently staged in the vacant structure.
Manitoba Lotteries, which purchased the hotel and land last July for $6.3 million, gave the fire commissioner’s office and the Winnipeg Police Service permission to use the building for forensic training and search-and-rescue simulation exercises in October and earlier this month.
The exercises included rescue teams using dogs and specialized cameras and listening devices to find people trapped or buried in a pile of rubble.
Manitoba Lotteries spokesperson Susan Olynik said Friday the entire building won’t be demolished until late December or early January. It’s coming down to make way for a new full-service hotel that will be connected to the neighboring McPhillips Station Casino.
Olynik said the lotteries corporation is looking for an outside party to build and operate the new hotel, but she refused to speculate on who that might be, how big the hotel will be, or the projected cost.
She said it will likely be similar to the Club Regent Casino Hotel that is attached to the Club Regent Casino on Regent Avenue. That hotel features a full-service restaurant and is operated by Winnipeg’s Canad Inns hotel chain.
Olynik also wouldn’t speculate on how soon construction might begin.
— Staff