L.A. wildfires, U.S. tariff threats don’t have Cineplex execs worried

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - Cineplex Inc.'s chief executive says he doesn't see the recent Los Angeles wildfires nor tariffs U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened on Canadian goods as spelling major trouble in his business.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/02/2025 (554 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO – Cineplex Inc.’s chief executive says he doesn’t see the recent Los Angeles wildfires nor tariffs U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened on Canadian goods as spelling major trouble in his business.

Ellis Jacob said the year’s film releases are on track because studios were largely unscathed when flames roared through Hollywood last month. 

The Toronto-based cinema chain is similarly expecting little impact from 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods Trump put a month-long pause on in early February. 

Customers buy popcorn at a Cineplex theatre in downtown Toronto on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov
Customers buy popcorn at a Cineplex theatre in downtown Toronto on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christopher Katsarov

“I’ve lived through a number of recessions in our business and our business actually does better when economic times are tougher because people and guests travel less, they stay closer to home, and we become one of the cheaper forms of having a good time outside their place of residence,” Jacob said in an interview on Tuesday, noting how much cheaper it is to go to a movie than see live sports.

“We’ve seen that happen a number of times over the last 25 years.”

His remarks come as the wider business community is staring down several economic headwinds, while the film sector works to bounce back from the 2023 U.S. writers and actors guild strikes, which dimmed movie sets for months and upended the 2024 release schedule.

As the industry rebounded, last year ended with a steady stream of film releases including highly anticipated sequels and plenty of Oscar bait.

“The three big ones that made a difference were ‘Wicked,’ ‘Gladiator II’ and ‘Moana 2,'” Jacob said. “They were all the drivers of the U.S. Thanksgiving period, and that worked out really, really well for us.”

The trio of films helped Cineplex deliver fourth-quarter earnings of $3.3 million or five cents per share. The result for the period ended Dec. 31 compared with a loss of $9.0 million or 14 cents per share a year earlier.

The company’s revenue also rose during the quarter to $362.7 million, up from $315.1 million in the last three months of 2023, while theatre attendance totalled 11.1 million, a jump from 9.6 million a year earlier.

Box office revenue per patron followed a similar pattern, reaching $13.26, up from $12.90 in the same quarter last year, while concession revenue per patron was $9.41, up from $9.28.

Analysts are now watching to see whether that momentum will be threatened by either the California fires or the recent trade drama, which could raise prices on consumer goods and cause Canadians to rethink discretionary purchases like movie tickets.

Cineplex executives, however, are confident their business won’t face much upheaval.

Gord Nelson, the company’s chief financial officer, reminded analysts on a Tuesday call that Cineplex is fairly insulated from the recent tariff threats because it doesn’t transfer physical goods across borders.

About 99 per cent of the company’s revenue is generated in Canada through operations and facilities in the country, he said.

Film rentals, labour and occupancy costs make up the bulk of the company’s expenses and are “not caught by any current tariff discussions,” Nelson said.

Cineplex will watch out for potential impacts and “sourcing opportunities” for items ensnared by tariffs, like food, but Nelson doesn’t foresee any material impacts.

Jacob has a similar outlook.

“Most of our costs are not impacted by the tariffs, maybe popcorn would be one, but it’s not a significant impact,” Jacob said.

While Canadians have recently rushed to patronize homegrown brands to fight the U.S. tariff threats, he said Cineplex hasn’t been facing questions about where it gets its concession stand snacks.

Audiences also don’t seem to be factoring in a film’s origins to their viewing decisions and he doesn’t make much of chatter about whether the country’s film sector will land in Trump’s crosshairs as he works to repatriate American industries.

“Some are concerned about whether the movies will be made in Canada,” Jacob said.

“If they’re not made in Canada they have to be made somewhere, and we’ll still be playing those movies.”

Canada’s film sector has been growing steadily for decades with the country hosting sets for “Deadpool,” “Interstellar,” “Suicide Squad” and the upcoming “Tron: Ares.”

The wide swath of countries supporting film production helped the industry weather the California wildfires.

“Superman was filmed in Atlanta,” Jacob said of the upcoming superhero flick starring David Corenswet as the Man of Steel.

“Almost 95 per cent of the stuff is done outside of California.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 11, 2025.

Companies in this story: (TSX:CGX)

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:17 PM CDT

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Yesterday at 6:17 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Dream season for Ponder who has yet to miss a cut on PGA Tour Americas

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Dream season for Ponder who has yet to miss a cut on PGA Tour Americas

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read 8:13 PM CDT

He may not be a household name to average golf fans just yet, but that’s likely about to change rather quickly.

And local lovers of the sport might want to hurry down to Elmhurst this week to catch a glimpse of Thomas Ponder before he’s off to play where the grass is even greener. Or, at the very least, where the paycheques are much bigger.

Ponder enters this year’s Manitoba Open atop the PGA Tour Americas points list and is a virtual lock to, at the very least, earn promotion to the Korn Ferry Tour for 2027, which is awarded to the top 10 finishers.

A jump directly to the PGA Tour — the way recent Manitoba Open winners such as Hayden Springer and Johnny Keefer, and other competitors such as Neal Shipley and Michael Brennan, have made — wouldn’t be a huge surprise, either.

Read
8:13 PM CDT

Rookie defensive lineman’s history hits just as hard

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Rookie defensive lineman’s history hits just as hard

Taylor Allen 5 minute read 6:09 PM CDT

Michael Fletcher hasn’t exactly been able to ease into things since bringing his talents up north.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers threw the rookie defensive lineman to the wolves in training camp, which led to him being released for a few days because of an injury before being signed to the practice roster.

“He’s willing to do whatever and he proved that during camp. We wore his ass out. He took so many reps in camp because we kept losing guys, losing guys, losing guys, and we just kept giving him more reps because we had to, to get practice in,” said head coach Mike O’Shea after Tuesday’s practice.

The Bombers (5-4) are in Edmonton on Friday to challenge the Elks (7-3).

Read
6:09 PM CDT

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?

‘Take it to the bank’: premier insists temporary ER will open in Dauphin by Labour Day, but nurses skeptical

Carol Sanders 4 minute read Preview

‘Take it to the bank’: premier insists temporary ER will open in Dauphin by Labour Day, but nurses skeptical

Carol Sanders 4 minute read 6:34 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew insisted Tuesday that the flood-shuttered Dauphin hospital will have a temporary emergency department in place by Labour Day, but offered no details on the plan.

“I’m here telling you, take it to the bank — Labour Day — emergency department services in Dauphin,” the premier said when asked about it at an unrelated news conference in Winnipeg.

The Dauphin Regional Health Centre was forced to evacuate 54 patients and close its doors on July 1 after the Parkland region experienced severe flooding.

“You’re going to see temporary structures being stood up there over the next few weeks with an opening day of Labour Day because we know how important health care is to people in Dauphin.”

Read
6:34 PM CDT