Manitoba premier hints U.S. firms could be excluded from energy infrastructure work
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/03/2025 (525 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG – Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew says the province’s Crown-owned energy corporation could use its purchasing power to fight back against tariffs imposed by the United States.
Kinew says Manitoba Hydro is expected to spend roughly $35 billion over the next two decades on goods required for maintenance and upgrades.
He says countries that may want to work well with Canada — such as South Korea — could benefit from that, while countries that don’t want to work together may not.
For now, Manitoba is not going as far as the Ontario government, which has placed a 25 per cent surcharge on electricity exported to the U.S.
Kinew signalled last week that Manitoba may curtail future exports of hydroelectricity to the U.S. under a rule requiring cabinet approval for new or extended power contracts with firms south of the border.
Kinew says he would prefer U.S. President Donald Trump drop the tariffs on Canadian goods but is willing to consider restricting American firms from Manitoba Hydro infrastructure projects as retaliation.
“Manitoba Hydro actually has tremendous buying power and that’s one of the tools we’re looking to use effectively,” Kinew said Monday.
“It so happens that because of what’s happening with the Trump tariff threats that a lot of that conversation is now, like, ‘How do we push back against the Trump administration? How do we stand up effectively?’ But we can also use that in a positive way to say, ‘Hey, countries and companies that want to work well with us — let’s do some deals.'”
Manitoba has taken other measures to counter the U.S. tariffs, such as pulling American alcohol products from liquor store shelves and taking out advertisements to urge people to buy Canadian goods.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 10, 2025.