Algoma Steel reports net loss of $110.6M in Q2 amid tariff pressures
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/07/2025 (390 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
SAULT STE. MARIE – Algoma Steel Group Inc. says lower steel shipment volumes and tariffs weighed on its bottom line during the second quarter.
The steel maker reported a net loss of $110.6 million during the quarter compared with net income of $6.1 million a year earlier.
Algoma Steel says it paid $64.1 million in tariffs during the quarter, compared to none during the same 2024 period.
Revenue during the second quarter came in at $589.7 million, lower than $650.5 million the year before.
Algoma Steel CEO Michael Garcia says the firm’s operational results met its expectations for the quarter, but were affected by tariff uncertainty and weak steel demand.
Last week, the company said it is seeking $500 million in federal support as it faces continued uncertainty from U.S. tariffs on Canadian steel.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 29, 2025.
Companies in this story: (TSX: ASTL)