Rogers tells CRTC hearings it needs Shaw deal to compete in global market for content

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Rogers Communications Inc. told regulators Monday that its proposed $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. is necessary not only to create greater competition in Western Canada but also to compete in the increasingly global market of content providers.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/11/2021 (1734 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Rogers Communications Inc. told regulators Monday that its proposed $26-billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. is necessary not only to create greater competition in Western Canada but also to compete in the increasingly global market of content providers.

“Canada is no longer an island in an ocean alone,” said Edward Rogers, chair of the company, at the first day of CRTC hearings in Gatineau, Que. looking into the broadcasting aspects of the proposed takeover.

“While our primary competitors are still Bell and Telus in the cable business, in this global world, our competitors are also increasingly global platforms and brands,” said Rogers, who won a high-profile court battle over control of the company’s leadership earlier this month.

Traffic drives past the Rogers corporate head office and headquarters along Mount Pleasant Road in Toronto, Monday, Oct. 25, 2021. Hearings are set to begin at the federal telecoms regulator on Rogers Communications Inc.'s proposed $26 billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Evan Buhler
Traffic drives past the Rogers corporate head office and headquarters along Mount Pleasant Road in Toronto, Monday, Oct. 25, 2021. Hearings are set to begin at the federal telecoms regulator on Rogers Communications Inc.'s proposed $26 billion takeover of Shaw Communications Inc. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Evan Buhler

At the hearings, the company emphasized its investments in internet-based television as key to respond to the threats to Canadian broadcasting from the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV, since the Rogers offering allows customers to see both domestic and international programs all in one place, while still being in the regulated system.

It said it also plans to invest billions of dollars to expand broadband access and invest in 5G networks to remain competitive.

Brad Shaw, chief executive of Shaw, said the proposed deal comes at a critical turning point in the industry and that the Calgary-based telco can’t make the needed network and broadcast investments without a partnership.

“Simply put, Shaw cannot do it alone. We need the scale, strength, and resources of the combined Shaw and Rogers assets.”

Dean Prevost, head of Rogers Connected Home, said the investments would increase broadcast competition in Western Canada, especially in rural communities where Telus Corp. is often the only option. He stopped short of assuring that Shaw customers wouldn’t see rate increases, but said that competition is the best check against that.

“The best assurance you have is the most incredibly aggressive competitor in the west, which is Telus. Raising rates isn’t an act alone, it’s an act in a marketplace.”

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission heard from Rogers and Shaw on Monday, while other interested groups including Telus, BCE Inc. and consumer advocacy groups are scheduled to have their say later this week.

In filings, both Telus and BCE have opposed the deal, saying it would give Rogers control of 47 per cent of English broadcasting subscribers in Canada and too much sway over content distribution and securing rights to content.

Speaking at the return of Parliament Monday, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he was also opposed to the deal.

“We are absolutely opposed to this merger. It’s going to hurt people, it’s going to make life more difficult, it’s going to make the cost of internet continue to rise.”

Interveners have also raised concerns about the loss of about $12 million in funding to Global News channels in Western Canada that Shaw currently supports. Rogers said it plans to offset the loss by expanding its investments in its CityNews network in its Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg newsrooms.

The CRTC hearings are focused on the broadcast implications of the deal, including cable networks in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, the satellite-based Shaw Direct TV service, and a satellite relay system.

The CRTC won’t be considering the market implications for mobile wireless, which will be part of the reviews done by the Competition Bureau and from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 22, 2021.

Companies in this story: (TSX:RCI.B; TSX:SJR.B)

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version included an incorrect location for the hearings.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Fish briefs

Grace Penner 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The Sioux Falls Canaries had a taste for fish as the club beat the Winnipeg Goldeyes in this week’s series.

Despite being on the road, the Winnipeg Goldeyes (45-37) started off the series with a strong win on Tuesday night. They soloed the scoreboard into the fourth inning with a 7-0 sweep until the Canaries (43-41) snuck in two runs in the bottom. Peyton Holt, Adam Hall, Ramón Bramasco, and Noah Marcelo had four runs in the top of that inning.

Even though Sioux Falls were able to slowly make their way up to six runs, catcher/infielder Marcelo secured their lead hitting two homers driving in two runs during the game.

Pitcher Landen Bourassa held the mound the majority of the innings, striking out seven, with relief pitchers Sage Ferguson and Derrick Cherry guarding the lead to give the Fish the 9-6 win.

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT