Canada

Arts & Entertainment

Alcohol, autos among key irritants in Canada-U.S. trade talks

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 5 minute read 4:11 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada's top trade negotiators remained in Washington Monday for talks as the deadline looms for U.S. President Donald Trump's latest tariffs to kick in.

Here are some key issues in negotiations. 

Supply management

The supply management system that protects Canadian dairy has been cited by the U.S. as a key irritant in trade negotiations and Trump has repeatedly complained about the level of U.S. dairy farmers’ access to Canada’s market.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Weather

Aug. 18, 12 AM: 16°c Cloudy Aug. 18, 6 AM: 13°c Cloudy

Winnipeg MB

21°C, Cloudy with wind

Full Forecast

Environment

Feds move to repeal EV sales mandate without new stringent emission rules in place

Nick Murray, The Canadian Press 5 minute read 4:08 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The federal government moved last week to formally repeal the electric vehicle sales mandate, but the more stringent emission standards Prime Minister Mark Carney promised to replace it with is not close to being finalized.

In a notice in the Canada Gazette posted on Friday, the government outlined the proposed regulations to repeal the mandate, which would have set a target of having EVs account for at least 20 per cent of auto sales across Canada this year. The target was to increase to 100 per cent by 2035.

The government forecasted the change would drive the adoption rate of EVs to 75 per cent of new sales by 2035, and 90 per cent by 2040.

The mandate is among a growing list of climate policies introduced by former prime minister Justin Trudeau which Carney is dismantling, including repealing the consumer carbon price and scrapping the emissions cap on oil and gas production.

Canada

MPs to examine Canada’s security screening process following NATO espionage arrest

Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

MPs to examine Canada’s security screening process following NATO espionage arrest

Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Updated: 4:52 PM CDT

OTTAWA - A parliamentary committee plans to hold hearings on Canada's security screening process following the arrest of a Canadian NATO intern on espionage allegations.

The House of Commons public safety and national security committee agreed at a meeting Monday to invite Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree and other witnesses to testify.

MPs plan to hold at least three meetings on a priority basis, though no dates have been set.

Conservative MP Dane Lloyd, who presented a motion to hold the hearings, said the proposal aimed to give Canadians and the country's allies the "confidence needed to ensure that our system is operating appropriately to ensure the integrity of our national security." 

Read
Updated: 4:52 PM CDT

Science & Technology

Feds block board appointment to Quebec laser firm bought by Chinese company

Darryl Greer, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Feds block board appointment to Quebec laser firm bought by Chinese company

Darryl Greer, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 2:41 PM CDT

A Quebec-based laser firm that was bought by a Chinese company says the federal government has wrongfully refused to allow an American executive onto its board over concerns that its technology could be used to "benefit foreign militaries." 

CorActive High Tech Inc. was acquired in 2017 by Han's Laser Technology Group, and CorActive wants to appoint Xiaokai "Denver" Zeng, who heads Han's U.S. subsidiary, to its board. 

The company says in an application filed in Federal Court last month that Industry Minister Melanie Joly refused to approve U.S.-based Zeng's appointment in June, a decision CorActive, Han's and Zeng allege was "substantively unreasonable."

It says the companies had to agree to undertakings at the time of the acquisition deal to protect CorActive's technology related to the production of "specialty fibres," including requiring background checks on prospective employees. 

Read
Updated: 2:41 PM CDT

Canada

OPP constable charged with sexual assault in incidents involving three women: SIU

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Preview

OPP constable charged with sexual assault in incidents involving three women: SIU

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Updated: 12:51 PM CDT

Ontario's police watchdog says a provincial police officer has been charged with sexual assault in separate incidents involving a total of three women.

The Special Investigations Unit says Ontario Provincial Police reported an allegation involving the officer and a woman in February, and the other allegations emerged during its investigation.

The SIU says the alleged incidents took place between August 2024 and October of last year.

It says Const. Zahid Javed of the OPP's Southern Georgian Bay detachment was arrested this morning and faces three counts each of sexual assault and breach of trust.

Read
Updated: 12:51 PM CDT

Canada

‘Toughest experience’ of my life: TKMS CEO on past year vying for sub contract

Kyle Duggan, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

‘Toughest experience’ of my life: TKMS CEO on past year vying for sub contract

Kyle Duggan, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 4:45 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The last time TKMS CEO Oliver Burkhard stepped onto a flight to Canada, he wasn't sure if he was about to win a multi-billion dollar contract, or leave the country empty handed.

The German company, chosen this summer as the preferred bidder for the Canadian navy's next fleet of submarines, is not new to such nerve-racking contests. It has long supplied conventional submarines to NATO alliance members.

In an interview in Ottawa on Monday, though, Burkhard said Ottawa's "light speed" naval procurement put him, and the company, through "quite a wild ride" to win what will be its largest contract ever. That is, assuming negotiations over the coming months conclude in its favour.

The firm learned a year ago it would have to fight South Korean rival Hanwha for the massive Canadian naval contract on a tight timeline. TKMS also held an initial public offering just a few months later, a major event and difficult time to shepherd any company through.

Read
Updated: 4:45 PM CDT

Business

LeBlanc says job ‘not yet done’ after meeting with Greer, Lutnick

The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

LeBlanc says job ‘not yet done’ after meeting with Greer, Lutnick

The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 5:03 PM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc left a high-stakes meeting in Washington on Monday saying the work will continue toward a deal to avoid a punishing new round of American tariffs.

"Our job is not yet done," LeBlanc said, ducking into a car and avoiding reporters' questions about how the talks are going and whether a deal is possible before the tariffs are set to take effect just after midnight on Wednesday.

LeBlanc and Janice Charette, the chief trade negotiator, sat down with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick on Monday. Greer left the nearly two-hour meeting without comment.

LeBlanc and Charette have been in Washington since last week and are hoping to carve out a deal that would halt those tariffs and provide relief on existing tariffs targeting industries such as steel, aluminum and lumber.

Read
Updated: 5:03 PM CDT

Arts & Entertainment

Canada’s social media ban for under-16s likely to face Charter challenge, experts say

Anja Karadeglija, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Canada’s social media ban for under-16s likely to face Charter challenge, experts say

Anja Karadeglija, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 4:38 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The federal government is likely to face a constitutional challenge to its proposed ban on social media for kids under 16, some experts say.

On Friday, France’s top court struck down that country’s social media ban for kids under 15, saying the ban was too broad and infringed on freedom of expression.

Dalhousie University associate law professor Michael Karanicolas said a Charter challenge to Canada’s law is almost inevitable.

"If we're talking about such a significant intervention in the social media space and in the expressive space, there will be organizations that have the resources and the expertise to take a challenge forward and I think it's very likely that we see litigation around this," he said.

Read
Updated: 4:38 PM CDT

Business

Auditor general says Quebec parties have little room for new spending promises

Stéphane Rolland, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Auditor general says Quebec parties have little room for new spending promises

Stéphane Rolland, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Updated: 3:55 PM CDT

MONTREAL - Quebec will have to tighten its belt for several years to comply with provincial legislation that requires a balanced budget, the province's auditor general said on Monday. 

In a new analysis, the auditor general, Christine Roy, projected the government is facing a multi-billion dollar deficit that will require cuts of at least $2 billion, starting next year, and up to $5 billion for the following year.

The projections come less than two weeks before Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette is expected to call a general election.

The numbers show that the political parties don't have "much leeway" for new spending promises, Roy said.

Read
Updated: 3:55 PM CDT

Canada

Three adults, two youths charged in double homicide in Brampton, Ont.

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Preview

Three adults, two youths charged in double homicide in Brampton, Ont.

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Updated: 11:15 AM CDT

BRAMPTON - Five suspects, including two youths, are facing charges in relation to a shooting that left two dead near a school in Brampton, Ont., earlier this year.

Peel regional police say officers responded to the shooting on the grounds of a school near Rutherford and Kennedy roads on the night of April 3.

They say a man and a male youth were both fatally shot.

Police say an extensive investigation led to the arrests of five suspects between May and July.

Read
Updated: 11:15 AM CDT

Health

Health Canada approves drug that treats hot flashes for use by breast cancer patients

Nicole Ireland, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Health Canada approves drug that treats hot flashes for use by breast cancer patients

Nicole Ireland, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 4:35 PM CDT

TORONTO - Health Canada has authorized a drug to treat moderate to severe hot flashes and night sweats in breast cancer patients.

Elinzanetant, also known by the brand name Lynkuet, was first approved in July 2025 to treat the symptoms in women going through menopause, but another study reviewed by the department has since shown effectiveness of the drug specifically in breast cancer patients.

According to Health Canada's drug database, the new market authorization took effect on Friday.

About two-thirds of breast cancers are hormone-receptor positive, meaning they need estrogen to grow. Oncologists treat those cancers by blocking the body's production of estrogen, often triggering vasomotor symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats.

Read
Updated: 4:35 PM CDT

Business

Here’s a list of July inflation rates for selected Canadian cities

The Canadian Press 1 minute read 7:49 AM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada's annual inflation rate was 3.0 per cent in July, Statistics Canada says. The agency also released rates for major cities, but cautioned that figures may have fluctuated widely because they are based on small statistical samples (previous month in brackets):

— St. John's, N.L.: 4.1 per cent (3.7)

— Charlottetown-Summerside:  4.0 per cent (3.6)

— Halifax: 4.8 per cent (4.3)

Business

Here’s a list of July inflation rates for Canadian provinces

The Canadian Press 1 minute read 7:49 AM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada's annual inflation rate was 3.0 per cent in July, Statistics Canada says. Here's what happened in the provinces (previous month in brackets):

— Newfoundland and Labrador: 4.2 per cent (3.8)

— Prince Edward Island: 4.0 per cent (3.8)

— Nova Scotia: 5.0 per cent (4.7)

Canada

In the news today: LeBlanc meets U.S. envoy, gas price relief, Hayden Panettiere dead

The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

In the news today: LeBlanc meets U.S. envoy, gas price relief, Hayden Panettiere dead

The Canadian Press 4 minute read 3:15 AM CDT

Here is a roundup of stories from The Canadian Press designed to bring you up to speed …

LeBlanc meets with U.S. trade representative as tariff deadline looms

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc spent the weekend in Washington to work with Donald Trump's trade czar before a new round of tariffs takes effect this week.

The U.S. president has ordered 50 per cent levies on a range of Canadian goods — from cement to hockey sticks — starting on Wednesday.

Read
3:15 AM CDT

Environment

Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador reach tentative energy agreement worth billions

Sarah Smellie, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador reach tentative energy agreement worth billions

Sarah Smellie, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 4:54 PM CDT

ST. JOHN'S - Leaders in Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador unveiled details of an ambitious new energy plan on Monday, which Prime Minister Mark Carney described as the largest clean energy investment in North America.

The province's utilities are eyeing up to 14,000 megawatts of new and existing hydroelectric developments in Labrador and along the Churchill River. The federal government is also pitching in, and Carney was on hand for the announcement on a pier at the St. John's Port Authority.

"Today's announcement will produce enough clean electricity to power every car, truck, motorcycle and bus in Canada," the prime minister said. "It will generate enough power to light, heat and cool the homes in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver combined."

It may also end decades of tension between Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec — if negotiators can hammer out final, binding agreements amid an election campaign in Quebec and the possible installation of a new provincial government.

Read
Updated: 4:54 PM CDT

Business

July’s inflation rebound not enough to sway the Bank of Canada: economists

Craig Lord, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

July’s inflation rebound not enough to sway the Bank of Canada: economists

Craig Lord, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 1:19 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Inflation reaccelerated in July after another volatile month for global energy prices. But economists argue the latest data was mild enough that the Bank of Canada can focus on looming trade risks rather than fears of spreading price hikes.

Statistics Canada said Monday that the annual rate of inflation rose to three per cent last month, up from 2.8 per cent in June and a tick above economists' expectations.

Global energy volatility was primarily to blame for the increase. A ceasefire agreement struck between the United States and Iran in June started to unravel in July, undoing much of the recent progress in taming global oil prices.

Gas prices were up 25.7 per cent year-over-year in July, StatCan said, marking an acceleration from a 20.5 per cent annual hike in June.

Read
Updated: 1:19 PM CDT

LOAD MORE CANADA ARTICLES