High-profile Canadian defence lawyer withdraws from Nygard case for ‘ethical reasons’ Manitoba judge grants first such application in Brian Greenspan’s 50-year career

A prominent Canadian defence lawyer has withdrawn from disgraced fashion mogul Peter Nygard’s criminal case in Manitoba, arguing in a Winnipeg court he could no longer represent the convicted rapist for “ethical reasons.”

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/01/2024 (950 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A prominent Canadian defence lawyer has withdrawn from disgraced fashion mogul Peter Nygard’s criminal case in Manitoba, arguing in a Winnipeg court he could no longer represent the convicted rapist for “ethical reasons.”

Toronto-based lawyer Brian Greenspan said it’s the first time in his 50-year career that he has requested to withdraw from a case.

“There’s been an irreconcilable breakdown in the solicitor-client relationship, and I’ll go further and simply say that it is now what I would call and characterize as adversarial,” Greenspan told provincial court Judge Stacey Cawley in a phone call Friday.

THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES/ Tijana Martin
                                Brian Greenspan, the lawyer that was representing Peter Nygard, has withdrawn from the disgraced fashion mogul’s criminal case.

THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES/ Tijana Martin

Brian Greenspan, the lawyer that was representing Peter Nygard, has withdrawn from the disgraced fashion mogul’s criminal case.

An affidavit submitted by lawyer Seth Weinstein — a partner at Greenspan’s firm — and read out by Cawley, stated the request was in his partner’s best interest and wasn’t about money.

The letter further said if the application wasn’t made it would be a breach of Greenspan’s professional duties as a lawyer.

“The withdrawal is sought for ethical reasons,” it said.

Nygard was charged in July with sexual assault and forcible confinement stemming from an alleged incident at his former company headquarters in Winnipeg in November 1993. The charge has not been tested in court.

Greenspan represented Nygard in a six-week trial last year in Toronto when he faced five counts of sexual assault and one count of forcible confinement in incidents alleged to have occurred between the 1980s and mid-2000s.

“There’s been an irreconcilable breakdown in the solicitor-client relationship, and I’ll go further and simply say that it is now what I would call and characterize as adversarial.”–Brian Greenspan

He was found guilty on four counts of sexual assault.

In addition to the Winnipeg charges, Nygard faces various criminal charges in Quebec and New York.

Speaking to Cawley via telephone from the Toronto Detention Centre, Nygard, 82, said he didn’t want to make the court appearance without an alternate lawyer present, but won’t secure new counsel without an assurance nearly three gigabytes of files related to the case would be transferred to his new counsel in an “amicable way.”

An email submitted to court before the hearing written by Nygard also accused his lawyer of making the request to drive up his fees.

“I’ve advised the court that I do not want to come to court… that’s what I advised before… that’s what I’m advising right now. I do not want to engage in this conversation,” he told the judge.

Greenspan refuted Nygard’s claim, telling court he would transfer the files to new counsel and made the application to withdraw at no cost to Nygard. Weinstein’s affidavit said the ask “does not relate to the non-payment of fees.”

More details related to the application weren’t discussed due to client-solicitor privilege.

Appearing by phone, Rob Parker, the Saskatchewan-based prosecutor assigned to the case, confirmed his office would keep possession of the files until Nygard sorted out new counsel.

When given an opportunity to respond, Nygard said he’s been trying to sort out the issue between him and his lawyer in a “professional and non-confrontational” manner.

A law professor said while withdrawal applications happen from time to time, it’s not a common occurrence with a high-profile client such as Nygard.

There could be many reasons a lawyer asks to withdraw from representing their client, said Hassan Ahmad, an assistant professor of law at the University of British Columbia.

“It’s not necessarily for substantive reasons, it might just be for practical or financial reasons,” he said. “That client’s not accepting the lawyer’s advice or the lawyer is not following the client’s instructions? Or, are there other circumstances where the client can’t pay the bill?”

Ethical considerations such as a client asking a lawyer to act illegally or do something that would breach professional ethics codes are also grounds for asking to withdraw, Ahmad said.

The law professor made it clear, however, a weak case is not grounds to apply for a withdrawal.

Cawley ultimately granted Greenspan’s application, telling court that based on what she heard, it was required to maintain his professional and ethical obligations.

The judge referred Nygard to legal aid to sort out new counsel.

A trial date has not been set.

nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca

Nicole Buffie

Nicole Buffie
Multimedia producer

Nicole Buffie is a reporter for the Free Press city desk. Born and bred in Winnipeg, Nicole graduated from Red River College’s Creative Communications program in 2020 and worked as a reporter throughout Manitoba before joining the Free Press newsroom as a multimedia producer in 2023. Read more about Nicole.

Every piece of reporting Nicole produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
5:14 PM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.

High-profile Canadian defence lawyer withdraws from Nygard case for ‘ethical reasons’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

High-profile Canadian defence lawyer withdraws from Nygard case for ‘ethical reasons’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2024

A prominent Canadian defence lawyer has withdrawn from disgraced fashion mogul Peter Nygard’s criminal case in Manitoba, arguing in a Winnipeg court he could no longer represent the convicted rapist for “ethical reasons.”

Toronto-based lawyer Brian Greenspan said it’s the first time in his 50-year career that he has requested to withdraw from a case.

“There’s been an irreconcilable breakdown in the solicitor-client relationship, and I’ll go further and simply say that it is now what I would call and characterize as adversarial,” Greenspan told provincial court Judge Stacey Cawley in a phone call Friday.

An affidavit submitted by lawyer Seth Weinstein — a partner at Greenspan’s firm — and read out by Cawley, stated the request was in his partner’s best interest and wasn’t about money.

Read
Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2024

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026