Zebras weigh in on Jets-Dallas Game 3 talking points Ref shin pad swipe and game-winning goal hotly-contested incidents

DALLAS — An unpenalized whack to a referee’s shin pads by an angry player and a controversial game-winning goal have become major talking points in the hotly-contested playoff series between the Winnipeg Jets and the Dallas Stars.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/05/2025 (464 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

DALLAS — An unpenalized whack to a referee’s shin pads by an angry player and a controversial game-winning goal have become major talking points in the hotly-contested playoff series between the Winnipeg Jets and the Dallas Stars.

Although the NHL has opted for the silent treatment surrounding the two incidents, which occurred during Sunday’s Game 3 between the two clubs, the same can’t be said for the hockey world at large as debate rages on.

The Free Press spoke on Tuesday with a pair of former league officials who agreed to give their takes on the condition of anonymity.

Let’s break them down in detail:

JULIO CORTEZ / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                Dallas Stars’ Mason Marchment (27) was not penalized after slashing referee Graham Skilliter in the shin following what Marchment thought was a non-call on Winnipeg Jets’ Mark Scheifele.

JULIO CORTEZ / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Dallas Stars’ Mason Marchment (27) was not penalized after slashing referee Graham Skilliter in the shin following what Marchment thought was a non-call on Winnipeg Jets’ Mark Scheifele.

INCIDENT #1: Dallas forward Mason Marchment, upset at what he thought was an undetected slash by Jets centre Mark Scheifele, uses his stick to strike referee Graham Skilliter on the leg at the end of the second period.

THE CALL ON THE PLAY: Nothing. Not during the game itself or even after the fact, despite Rule 40.1 which states “Any player who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official, in any manner attempts to injure an official, physically demeans, or deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall receive a game misconduct penalty.”

UPON FURTHER REVIEW: “In my mind that is an automatic 10 games (suspension),” official No. 1 told us, noting former Anaheim Ducks forward Antoine Vermette received that suspension from the league for slashing a linesman in 2017 because he was upset at how the puck had been dropped during a faceoff.

He said the action itself, rather than the severity, calls for strict sanctions to remind all players that referees and linesman are off-limits no matter how upset you might be.

“I will say personally that it does send a terrible message to every person out there, especially kids, that acts like that are in any way acceptable in any sport,” he said. “It’s not acceptable and never should be. We have enough issues with abuse at the minor hockey level and this doesn’t help.”

Both officials we spoke to speculated that Skilliter might not have even realized what Marchment had done in the heat of the moment.

“I will say personally that it does send a terrible message to every person out there, especially kids, that acts like that are in any way acceptable in any sport.”

“When I initially saw it, I was like, ‘Oh, man, how did the ref not do something? ’ said official No. 2.

“And I watched it again, I don’t think he even knows he got hit, right? Usually when you have a play where you know the player is going to yell at you, you almost intentionally ignore the player. You look past them, do your best job not to antagonize them.”

However, it would have been clear as day after the fact, especially since Marchment came out at the start of the third period and was caught by cameras apologizing to Skilliter. Ultimately, the referee did not file an “abuse of official” report and the NHL decided no sanctions would be taken such as a fine and/or suspension.

“It can’t just be black-and-white You need some layers. Like, putting your hand on him versus punching him can’t be the same crime, right?” said official No. 2.

“If it had happened to me, I’d have killed the play right there and given him a 10-minute misconduct. And then the league could have stepped in. I’m a little bit surprised that nothing was done after the fact.”

Both officials speculated that Skilliter likely spoke to other referees, including the union, before ultimately deciding no further action was necessary.

Does that mean it’s now open season on the men in stripes?

“No, if anything, I think it’ll be heightened awareness,” said official No. 2. “That anything happening down the road is going to be dealt with swiftly and severely.”

JULIO CORTEZ / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                The referees ruled a ricocheting puck a good goal on Winnipeg Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck (centre) on Sunday in Dallas.

JULIO CORTEZ / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The referees ruled a ricocheting puck a good goal on Winnipeg Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck (centre) on Sunday in Dallas.

INCIDENT #2: Dallas defenceman Alex Petrovic knocks a puck with his skate which goes off Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck’s stick and into the Winnipeg net to give the Stars a 3-2 lead in a game they’d go on to win 5-2.

THE CALL ON THE PLAY: A good goal, both as it happened and then following a nearly 10-minute video review. Ultimately, referees deemed that while Petrovic did use a kicking motion on the puck, Hellebuyck negated the illegal act by “propelling” it into his own net. If they had deemed he simply deflected it, it would not have counted based on NHL rules.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW: “If they are going to rule that a kick, then that is a textbook no-goal based on how the rule is written,” said official No. 2. “That’s not control by (Hellebuyck) by any means. He’s scrambling to try and block it when the puck goes in the net. That’s the reason the rule was put in there.”

No argument from official No. 1.

“Do I think it was propelled? No. I think he made a legitimate attempt to stop the puck and it deflected. I don’t know what the goaltender is supposed to do in that situation other than try to stop the puck,” he said.

“The grey area becomes where the goaltender goes to make a save and tries to direct it to the corner, but instead it goes in the net. That’s an intentional action that is misplayed. That I don’t believe is what happened here.”

The Jets felt they got robbed on this play, and both officials would seem to agree. Except official No. 2 thinks the NHL also messed up by finding Petrovic guilty of a kick.

“I don’t think that was a distinct kicking motion,” he said.

In essence, two wrongs here ultimately made a right in terms of the final verdict.

“I’m glad it was allowed, I thought it should be a goal, but not for the reasons they stated,” said No. 2. “Before we had video review, nobody would have said ‘Boo,’ nobody would have watched that 10 minutes later and gone ‘Oh, we got screwed because it wasn’t reviewed.’ It was like they stuck their fingers here where they didn’t need to be.”

So how did this all come to fruition? According to both officials, it would have been the NHL itself which halted play before the puck could be dropped to say they wanted a further look — not Skilliter or his referee partner, Chris Rooney. And that led to a painstaking back-and-forth.

“I can only guess here that the referees did not feel it was kicked. They had a good angle on it. But Toronto (the league office) said ‘Hold on,’” said No. 2.

“I think the reason it took so long was because there was probably some disconnect between Toronto and the referees. Toronto saying it was kicked, the referees looking at it and saying it wasn’t. And possibly coming up with some compromise as to how do we allow this goal and maintain integrity.”

mike.mcintyre@freepress.mb.ca

X and Bluesky: @mikemcintyrewpg

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Zebras weigh in on Jets-Dallas Game 3 talking points

Mike McIntyre 7 minute read Preview

Zebras weigh in on Jets-Dallas Game 3 talking points

Mike McIntyre 7 minute read Tuesday, May. 13, 2025

DALLAS — An unpenalized whack to a referee’s shin pads by an angry player and a controversial game-winning goal have become major talking points in the hotly-contested playoff series between the Winnipeg Jets and the Dallas Stars.

Although the NHL has opted for the silent treatment surrounding the two incidents, which occurred during Sunday’s Game 3 between the two clubs, the same can’t be said for the hockey world at large as debate rages on.

The Free Press spoke on Tuesday with a pair of former league officials who agreed to give their takes on the condition of anonymity.

Let’s break them down in detail:

Read
Tuesday, May. 13, 2025

What's Up: Party at the Ballark, Wienerfest, Mocktail Week, Bonsai, Head to the library, MCO’s Concert on the Veranda

6 minute read Preview

What's Up: Party at the Ballark, Wienerfest, Mocktail Week, Bonsai, Head to the library, MCO’s Concert on the Veranda

6 minute read 5:00 AM CDT

Party at the ballparkBlue Cross Park, 1 Portage Ave. EFriday, 4-9:45 p.m.; Saturday, 3-9 p.m.Tickets $76-$600 at goldeyes.comBlue Cross Park will be alive with the sound of contemporary country music and throwback hip-hop tracks this weekend.

The third annual Country Rising and Tacos and Tequila festivals take place on the field of the local ballpark this Friday and Saturday, respectively.

The Country Rising lineup includes country-rap headliner BigXThaPlug, as well as Kalsey Kulyk, Corey Kent, Dylan Monroe and Redferrin. Ticketholders can also test their mettle with a mechanical bull ride and hay bale toss.

Saturday’s Tacos and Tequila Festival is headlined by Atlanta rapper T.I., with performances by Fat Joe, Too $hort, Petey Pablo, Frankie J and Murphy Lee. Vendors will be serving tacos and tequila-based cocktails. Catch the lucha libre wrestling show and chihuahua beauty contest between sets.

Read
5:00 AM CDT

Legal aid underfunding violates Charter, lawsuit claims

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Legal aid underfunding violates Charter, lawsuit claims

Free Press staff 2 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is taking the provincial and federal government to court, alleging that decades of underfunding for criminal legal aid violates Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

“Whether you are rich or poor should never determine whether you are found guilty of a crime,” Shakir Rahim, co-counsel in the case and director of the CCLA criminal justice program, said in a news release.

“Legal aid is supposed to protect that principle, ensuring that every person receives adequate legal representation.”

Funding for legal aid is woefully insufficient and has been for decades, the non-profit organization said.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: 11:34 AM CDT