Missing DJ’s body found in nightclub


Advertise with us

THE sister of Eduardo Sanchez broke down in tears yesterday as she mourned her younger brother as the most wonderful person she knew.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$1.50 for 150 days*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/12/2003 (6830 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

THE sister of Eduardo Sanchez broke down in tears yesterday as she mourned her younger brother as the most wonderful person she knew.

“He’s the best brother any sister could have and the best son any mother and father could have,” Abbey Sanchez said as she fought back her emotions.

Police spokesman Const. Bob Johnson said the body of Eduardo Sanchez, an occasional nightclub disc jockey, was found in the narrow space between two walls in the basement of the Village Cabaret in Osborne Village.

Sanchez, also known as DJ Phonosys and Grandmasta Sanchez, went missing Oct. 12, 2002.

Why Sanchez was squeezed between the walls will likely remain a mystery. Police do not suspect foul play at this point.

“This is definitely not what we anticipated — a family’s worst nightmare,” Abbey Sanchez said.

Sanchez was last seen by friends in the early morning hours on the Saturday of the Thanksgiving weekend in 2002. He sometimes worked at the club as a DJ, spinning records and playing drum and bass music he made on his home computer.

Abbey added that she and her parents, Eduardo Sr. and Erna, want to remember Ed for the person he was, his love of fashion, music and art, and not for what happened to him.

As she spoke, an autopsy was still continuing to find out how he died.

Officers, led by Det. Sgt. Glen Smyth, found the body of Sanchez late Wednesday afternoon after they used a special camera, borrowed from a duct cleaning company, to snake between a foundation wall and a second wall built of drywall several years ago.

Police had been called back to the popular nightclub — the last place Sanchez was seen — because of complaints of a strange, foul odor coming from the basement of the cabaret, which had recently changed its name from the Collective Cabaret.

“Sometimes it reeked of sewage when you came in in the morning,” said Kerrie Drine, a business owner in a neighbouring building. “We had to light incense to get rid of it.”

Drine also said most people thought the stench was caused by spilled beer and cigarette smoke. However, when the city’s smoking ban came into force in September, more people became aware of the smell.

An Osborne Village businessman also said the owners of the Village Cabaret recently had their building’s air ducts cleaned, and were planning to renovate the low-ceiling basement area where Sanchez was found.

Police sources said officers had searched the basement area after Sanchez’s disappearance. One officer, small in stature, tried to squeeze between the walls, but couldn’t.

Officers said they do not believe that Sanchez was dragged or pushed into the area by someone else, as it is too narrow for that to happen.

Police sources also said Sanchez’s body was almost mummified because of its location in the basement. Because of that, it may be possible for a toxicology test to be done to look for drugs and alcohol.

What may never be answered is why he apparently crawled between the two walls. Speculation is that he may have been using street drugs that caused an intense paranoid reaction and that he tried to hide.

What also isn’t known is how he died: suffocation, a drug overdose or starvation.

The Village Cabaret remained sealed yesterday as police forensic experts searched for more information. A sign on the front door read Closed Tonight due to Plumbing Problems.

Sanchez made a withdrawal on his bank account at 12:48 a.m. Oct. 12, 2002, from an ATM in the front entrance of the Collective. It was for $80.

At about 2:45 a.m., Sanchez spoke with three friends in a vehicle parked on Osborne Street. They invited him to a house party, but he said no, and was last seen walking back toward the Collective. He appeared intoxicated.

Family, friends and police searched for him for about a month, but found nothing.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us