Crown urges 1st-degree murder conviction
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $75*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.99/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/11/2011 (5286 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A Crown prosecutor urged a jury to convict a 41-year-old man of two counts of first-degree murder Monday morning.
Crown Gerry Bowering addressed the jury about the accusations against Kelly John Clarke, who is on trial in the shooting deaths of Joel and Magdalena Labossière in their home in April 2008.
They were slain in their home on Chokecherry Cove as their one-year-old daughter lay nearby.
Bowering told the jury there is “overwhelming” evidence that exists against Clarke for the two counts of first-degree murder. That includes the crucial eyewitness testimony by Steven Solomon, a man who was allegedly with Clarke at the time of the shootings, and a sawed-off shotgun police recovered from Assiniboine River.
It also included surveillance from a store Solomon and Clarke had allegedly visited before the shooting, and dumped clothing police found.
“It was deliberate. It was planned. It was murder in the first degree,” said Bowering.
Magdalena Labossière was pregnant at the time of her death and court heard that Clarke allegedly used his gun to smash a window before going inside and killing the couple, with Solomon nearby.
Defence counsel Greg Brodsky focused on questioning the credibility of Solomon’s testimony, and urging the jury to acquit Clarke.
“There’s no link in this case of Kelly Clarke to that house,” said Brodsky.
Bowering told the court earlier in the trial that the double homicide in the St. Vital home was connected to a triple killing in a St. Leon farmhouse in 2005, where Fernand and Rita Labossière died alongside their adult son Remi. The three were fatally shot before the building was set on fire.
That case touched off a bitter family dispute over the couple’s estate, which still remains before the courts.
Solomon told the court before the killings on Chokecherry Cove he had driven Clarke to meet with Jerome Labossière — who is one of Fernand and Rita’s children, as well as Joel’s uncle — but the two had gone for a private drive without him. Jerome Labossière was charged in May 2008 with first-degree murder for their deaths, as well as three counts of conspiracy to commit murder, along with two other men, Michel Marc Hince and Jeremie Gerard Toupin.
Brodsky cautioned the jury that Solomon is not a reliable witness, pointing out the witness’ past criminal record.
“There is no case without him,” he said.
Solomon was not charged for his role in the deaths.
Solomon also didn’t discuss what happened the night of the homicide until he was under investigation by police for an unrelated matter, said Brodsky.
The trial resumes on Wednesday.
gabrielle.giroday@freepress.mb.ca