WEATHER ALERT

Concussions must be taken seriously: neurosurgeon

Advertisement

Advertise with us

IT has become a hot-button topic in both professional and amateur sports.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Monthly Digital Subscription

$1 per week for 24 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $4.00 plus GST every four weeks. After 24 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/08/2014 (4206 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

IT has become a hot-button topic in both professional and amateur sports.

And a local expert on concussions says every brain injury suffered by an athlete needs to be taken seriously for fear of long-term effects, including mood-related issues such as depression and anxiety.

Studies at the Pan Am Clinic have shown between 30 and 50 per cent of all Winnipeg hockey players at either the midget or bantam AAA level have sustained at least one concussion.

KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS files
Dr. Michael Ellis: each case unique
KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS files Dr. Michael Ellis: each case unique

“At present we believe the effects of concussion are cumulative, in that a patient who suffers one concussion is at an elevated risk of future concussions,” Dr. Michael Ellis said Tuesday. He is a neurosurgeon who is heading up a new facility opening this fall that will be dedicated to treating and researching children and adolescents who suffer this type of injury.

The family of 16-year-old Ethan Williams, who took his own life last month, told the Free Press he had been diagnosed with eight concussions since age 11. Ellis said those who suffer repeated brain trauma are “at risk of taking longer to recover and are also at risk of a rare, but catastrophic condition called second impact syndrome.”

Ellis said the “vast majority” of people who develop depression or anxiety find those symptoms go away along with other concussion symptoms, usually within one to four weeks. But every patient is unique.

“In those patients who exhibit persistent or worrisome mood-related symptoms, it is very important that we facilitate urgent referral to the appropriate child and adolescent mental health services so these patients can receive the prompt support and expertise that they need,” said Ellis.

The new concussion treatment project will be run by the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and operate on the second floor of the MTS Iceplex in conjunction with True North Sports & Entertainment and the Pan Am Clinic Foundation. They are expecting to treat 50 new patients a week, with the potential to influence how concussions are handled globally.

 

— McIntyre

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:29 AM CDT: Adds photo

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD MORE