WEATHER ALERT

RCMP scour burnt-down home debris seeking clues into homicide

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MOUNTIES began searching on Tuesday the burned debris of a home in Winnipeg’s North End that they believe is linked to the slaying of a 27-year-old man.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.75 per week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Continue

*Billed as $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel anytime.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/07/2020 (1050 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MOUNTIES began searching on Tuesday the burned debris of a home in Winnipeg’s North End that they believe is linked to the slaying of a 27-year-old man.

“I can tell you with confidence that it is progressing rapidly and today is another significant step towards finding the truth about what happened to (Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe),” RCMP Supt. Michael Koppang said.

Koppang said the house on Alfred Avenue burned down on June 20 and was demolished because it was unsafe.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
RCMP officers search the rubble of a home on the 300 block of Alfred Avenue. It burned down June 20 and is believed to be connected to the death of Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe.
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS RCMP officers search the rubble of a home on the 300 block of Alfred Avenue. It burned down June 20 and is believed to be connected to the death of Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe.

“We believe that it was an arson, and that this arson is linked to the murder,” said Koppang. “Further, we believe that this home contains physical evidence related to our homicide investigation.”

The remains of Reimer-Wiebe were found in Portage la Prairie on June 24. Mounties believe his body was deposited there June 20.

RCMP identified Reimer-Wiebe as the victim on Monday. He was married and had a three-year-old son and two-year-old daughter.

Koppang said tips from the public and the ongoing investigation determined the home on Alfred Avenue was likely connected to the homicide.

“This case has had a lot of public involvement with over 250 tips received so far,” said Koppang. “These tips have propelled the investigation forward and we continue to ask the public for help.”

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
RCMP officers search the rubble of a home on the 300 block of Alfred Avenue. It burned down June 20 and is believed to be connected to the death of Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe.
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS RCMP officers search the rubble of a home on the 300 block of Alfred Avenue. It burned down June 20 and is believed to be connected to the death of Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe.

Koppang said the debris is being transported to a secure warehouse where RCMP forensic experts will sift through “every fragment” for evidence. Forensic identification and arson investigators are overseeing the removal of the debris, he said.

Koppang asked the public to call RCMP if they have information about Reimer-Wiebe’s activities from May 15 to June 20.

 

kellen.taniguchi@freepress.mb.ca

 

Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe, a 27-year-old male from Steinbach who was living in Winnipeg.
Gerhard Reimer-Wiebe, a 27-year-old male from Steinbach who was living in Winnipeg.
Report Error Submit a Tip

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Local

LOAD MORE