News briefs for Saturday, July 8, 2023
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$0 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/07/2023 (876 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Saturday, July 8, 2023
Police seek suspect in October sexual assault on transit bus
10:38 AM
Winnipeg police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man suspected of sexually assaulting a woman on a transit bus last October.
Around 9:15 a.m. on October 26, a 23-year-old woman was riding a transit bus near Portage Place when an unknown man sat beside her and allegedly touched her in a sexual manner. The victim told police she recognized the same suspect from a similar incident that occurred in August of that year, police said in a release.
The woman was not physically injured during either incident, police said.
The suspect is described as a black male in his mid- to late- 50s, approximately six feet tall, with a heavy build, moustache and balding hair. He wears prescription sunglasses.
Police continue to investigate both incidents. Anyone with information is asked to call the Sex Crimes Unit at 204-986-2987 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477 (TIPS).


Man arrested after assault on river dock
11:13 AM
Winnipeg police have arrested a 27-year-old man from Winnipeg in connection to an alleged assault.
Police were called to the public river dock located in the 400 block of Tache Avenue on June 29 around 10 p.m. for a report of a man who was assaulted.
Police say the victim had been at the dock with family members when a group, including the suspect, approached them. The group was “berating the victim and his family,” police say, when the suspect allegedly assaulted the victim with a skateboard in the upper body.
The suspects fled before police arrived, and the victim took himself to hospital.
The suspect was located on June 30 in the 300 block of Garry Street and arrested. He was charged assault with a weapon and released on an undertaking.
Protestors ordered to vacate Brady Road landfill by noon Monday
4:01 PM
The City of Winnipeg’s chief administrative officer Michael Jack has issued an Order to Vacate to the protestors who are blocking the Brady Road landfill.
An email to Mayor Scott Gillingham and city councillors says the protestors have been ordered to restore full access to the landfill by 12 p.m. on Monday.
“The blockade is a violation of both City By-laws and provisions under provincial legislation, and is placing the City at risk of violating environmental licence requirement,” states the email.
“We have determined that these actions constitute an emergency to the health and safety of the citizens of Winnipeg and users of the facility.”
The blockade — which was established Thursday — was sparked by the Manitoba government’s decision to support the installation of a memorial to the victims instead of putting up money to fund a search of a separate landfill north of the city, where the remains of Morgan Harris, 39, and Marcedes Myran, 26, are believed to have been dumped.