‘It’s tragic… it’s just shock’: St. James restaurant owner dead, suspect in custody Police say former River Rouge boat operator and man staying in next-door motel got into altercation

A Winnipeg restaurant owner is being remembered as a gregarious and generous figure, after he died in an altercation with another man outside his Portage Avenue business Wednesday evening.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/01/2024 (941 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Winnipeg restaurant owner is being remembered as a gregarious and generous figure, after he died in an altercation with another man outside his Portage Avenue business Wednesday evening.

City police were awaiting autopsy results to confirm the cause of death for Cork & Flame owner Kyriakos Vogiatzakis and determine whether homicide or other charges are warranted against a suspect who was in custody.

“It is a big part of potential or appropriate charges,” police spokesman Const. Jason Michalyshen said Thursday. “We just have to let the investigation unfold a little.”

Kyriakos Vogiatzakis (Facebook)

Kyriakos Vogiatzakis (Facebook)

Vogiatzakis’s family, friends and customers were devastated and in shock. His death was announced by his older brother, Mike Vogiatzakis, who operates Voyage Funeral Home, in a Facebook post Wednesday night.

“With sadness and broken hearts, we regret to announce the tragic passing of our younger brother Kyriakos,” he wrote.

Vogiatzakis, 51, opened Cork & Flame at 3106 Portage Ave., in 2019, after owning and operating the MS River Rouge tour boat for about a decade.

The Winnipeg Police Service so far had classified Wednesday’s altercation as a “death investigation.” It said Vogiatzakis and another man got into an altercation outside the restaurant at about 5:30 p.m.

Michalyshen said the major crimes unit is investigating what led up to the incident and whether Vogiatzakis and the suspect had any past contact.

Multiple sources told the Free Press the suspect was staying at the neighbouring Boulevard Motel.

Witnesses and emergency personnel performed CPR on the businessman, who was pronounced dead in hospital. The suspect was arrested nearby.

Michalyshen said police have had some contact with the suspect in the past, but not for significant reasons. Police did not release his age.

Plainclothes detectives were at the closed restaurant Thursday. A note on the door thanked customers for their support.

“He always made sure the customers were taken care of properly. He offered a lot to St. James.”–Norm Staziuk

Friends said Vogiatzakis worked long hours at Cork & Flame, where he was known for going from table to table to greet customers and catch up with regulars.

“He was a super-nice guy,” said friend and frequent customer Norm Staziuk. “He always made sure the customers were taken care of properly. He offered a lot to St. James.”

Staziuk sent a message to Vogiatzakis after seeing a social-media post about a police presence outside the restaurant.

He grew worried when he didn’t get a response and was distraught when he found out Vogiatzakis had died.

“He was a good friend. It’s just too bad that his life is cut short,” Staziuk said. “I’ll miss him.”

Silver Heights Restaurant owner Tony Siwicki and Vogiatzakis bumped into each other and chatted for about 30 minutes, as they often did, while shopping at a wholesale store Monday.

They became friends when Cork & Flame opened. Siwicki and another owner visited to welcome Vogiatzakis to St. James.

“He’s a local restaurant guy, always there all day and all night,” said Siwicki. “He was constantly grinding it out, because that’s what we do.”

A message posted at Cork & Flame Thursday. (Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press)

A message posted at Cork & Flame Thursday. (Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press)

Siwicki, chair of the Manitoba Restaurant & Foodservices Association, said owners are distraught and in disbelief over Vogiatzakis’s death.

“It’s tragic. Right now, it’s just shock,” he said.

For the last two Christmases, Vogiatzakis, his staff and other volunteers put together and delivered hampers to dozens of families in need.

“That was the most happy and content I had ever seen him — to be able to give back to the community and the city at large,” said Rev. Nikolaos Tambakis, a priest at St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, which Vogiatzakis attended. “That was his nature.”

Tambakis described Vogiatzakis as a loving, welcoming and compassionate person.

“Words cannot express the shock and the sorry that we have as a community, with the loss of Kyriakos,” he said. “Our love and sympathy to his family.”

Debra Floyd, who helped Vogiatzakis with last month’s hampers, said the effort helped 130 people in west Winnipeg.

“He was always giving back to people in his area,” she said. “He had a lot of plans for the future. He was thinking of opening another restaurant.

“He had a lot of plans for the future. He was thinking of opening another restaurant.”–Debra Floyd

“It was hard to believe someone would harm him in any way.”

People staying at the Boulevard Motel said they heard what sounded like people fighting outside after 5 p.m.

A woman, who declined to give her name, said she looked out the window of her second-floor suite and saw a man lying motionless on the ground near the sidewalk in front of the motel.

Another person was trying to perform CPR, said the woman, who rushed outside to help the unresponsive man.

“I went outside and did CPR, too, for 20, 25 minutes,” she said. “You’ve got to do it. Someone has got to do it.”

Other motel tenants said police canvassed the motel for witnesses and any potential video.

The motel owner declined to comment except to say he did not know what happened.

Michalyshen said the autopsy and detectives’ findings will dictate the course of the investigation and the nature of any charges.

Kyriakos Vogiatzakis in 2010, when he was owner of the MS River Rouge. Vogiatzakis died in an altercation Wednesday. (Trevor Hagan / Winnipeg Free Press files)

Kyriakos Vogiatzakis in 2010, when he was owner of the MS River Rouge. Vogiatzakis died in an altercation Wednesday. (Trevor Hagan / Winnipeg Free Press files)

“We’re committed to the (Vogiatzakis) family to ensure we get all the facts,” he said.

In a social media post Thursday evening, a relative announced the restaurant would reopen Friday.

Anyone with information or video is asked to call police at 204-986-6219 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (TIPS).

with files from Tyler Searle

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Thursday, January 25, 2024 12:30 PM CST: Adds details, interviews from scene

Updated on Thursday, January 25, 2024 1:00 PM CST: Adds comment from friend of victim

Updated on Thursday, January 25, 2024 5:37 PM CST: Updates to final version

Updated on Thursday, January 25, 2024 7:56 PM CST: Corrects name of restaurant

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Moon Alert: Until 11 p.m. PDT tonight there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The Moon is in Capricorn.

Aries (March 21-April 19)

Steer clear of confrontation with authority figures this morning. Instead, get yourself ready for a productive four weeks ahead because you intend to work and get better organized. Oh yeah – you’re going to pull your act together so you can take it on the road.

Taurus (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT