Festival du Voyageur president considering provincial NDP run

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Festival du Voyageur board president Simon Normandeau said Friday he’s considering a run for the NDP nomination in the St. Boniface byelection.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/03/2018 (3002 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Festival du Voyageur board president Simon Normandeau said Friday he’s considering a run for the NDP nomination in the St. Boniface byelection.

“Now that the festival is over, I am currently reflecting on the possibility of seeking the nomination in the St. Boniface’s constituency,” said Normandeau, who is a French-language educator.

Greg Selinger will resign on Wednesday, after holding the seat for the NDP since 1999.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS files
Festival du Voyageur president Simon Normandeau says he is ‘reflecting on the possibility’ of seeking the NDP nomination in St. Boniface.
RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS files Festival du Voyageur president Simon Normandeau says he is ‘reflecting on the possibility’ of seeking the NDP nomination in St. Boniface.

Premier Brian Pallister has said he will call the byelection by Sept. 8, within the six months allowed by law, but won’t commit to calling it before summer.

Earlier this week, Blandine Tona, program co-ordinator at the Sexuality Education Resource Centre and a human rights activist, announced she’ll seek the NDP nomination.

City Coun. Matt Allard said he won’t run provincially for the NDP. Instead, he’ll seek re-election to city council in 2020.

Natalie Duhamel told the Free Press she won’t try for the Liberal nomination. A constituency aide to Liberal MP Dan Vandal, Duhamel is the daughter of the late Liberal senator Ron Duhamel, and Carolyn Duhamel, retired longtime executive director of the Manitoba School Boards Association.

Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont is considering trying for the St. Boniface seat, which he contested in 2003 against Selinger, but wants to see if the riding association prefers someone else. Winning the riding would give the Liberals four seats and party status, bringing in resources and additional publicly paid staff.

None of the parties has called a nomination meeting yet. The Liberals have their annual general meeting March 16 and 17, but have yet to release an agenda.

Selinger announced his resignation a week after NDP Leader Wab Kinew demanded he step down. Several female staffers raised complaints about inappropriate sexual misconduct by former cabinet minister Stan Struthers, under the watch of former premiers Selinger and Gary Doer.

nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca

Nick Martin

Nick Martin

Former Free Press reporter Nick Martin, who wrote the monthly suspense column in the books section and was prolific in his standalone reviews of mystery/thriller novels, died Oct. 15 at age 77 while on holiday in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Saturday, March 3, 2018 10:37 AM CST: Photo added.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES