Locked-out-of-life stunt sheds light on disabilities
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $75*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.99/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/06/2018 (2884 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Tyson Sylvester plans to enter a jail cell in Old Market Square during noon hour Thursday to show the public what life is like in private for the 22-year-old with a physical disability.
“When you’re in a fight like ours, sometimes, you feel hopeless,” Sylvester told the Free Press last year.
With today’s “locked out of life” publicity stunt, Sylvester hopes to raise awareness of the plight of Manitobans with physical disabilities who lose many services and supports when they graduate from high school.
Sylvester, who has cerebral palsy and is visually impaired, and another Manitoban in her 20s filed a human rights complaint in 2016, saying they were discriminated against on the basis of disability and age when receiving services.
Sylvester, who graduated in 2015 from Transcona Collegiate Institute, and Amy Hampton, who graduated in 2011 from Maples Collegiate, say they became ineligible for services and programs that helped them learn, thrive and gain some independence when they reached adulthood and left school.
Those under 18 with lifelong physical disabilities qualify for comprehensive assistance.
Hampton, who is dealing with cerebral palsy, spastic quadriplegia and scoliosis, received one-on-one support, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech therapy, orthotics, care at a spasticity clinic, medical supplies and equipment. The services ended when she turned 18.
The complaint is still working its way through the Manitoba Human Rights Commission.
In a Free Press interview last year, the tech-savvy Sylvester talked about his dreams of studying computer science and developing software for the visually impaired. In his reality, he is trapped collecting welfare and sitting in front of his computer at an assisted-living facility.
He said at the time he’s eligible for 50 hours a week of home care, but that is barely enough help for him getting dressed, going to bed, eating and going to the bathroom. There is no support for him to continue his education or have any kind of social life, he told the Free Press.
Sylvester’s effort to publicize the isolation he experiences is part of a campaign being launched by the Cerebral Palsy Association of Manitoba.
“We did it for a reason,” executive director David Kron said Wednesday. “That is to shake people up a little bit and to bring attention to Tyson’s story and Amy’s story.
“We put a lot of thought into it,” he said. “We’re trying to be very careful in walking that line so people understand that it’s not the disability locking him out of life, it’s the systemic barriers that lots of folks face.”
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter
Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.
Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.