Mathias Colomb evacuees watch, wait as wildfires near home community
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $75*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.99/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/07/2022 (1402 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Northern Manitoba residents taking up temporary residence in Winnipeg hotels after being forced to flee their wildfire-threatened communities hope to return home soon.
Approximately 2,000 people have been evacuated from Mathias Colomb Cree Nation, some 820 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg, according to an estimate by the Canadian Red Cross — 1,800 are staying in hotels in Winnipeg, The Pas, Thompson and Brandon.
The wildfires nearing the Pukatawagan town site have grown substantially since first detection last week.
Two fires have merged with a third, a Manitoba Wildfire Service spokesperson said Wednesday. The massive blaze is now estimated at nearly 270 square km in size and is less than one km from the community.
Another fire about five km northeast of the Pukatawagan is estimated at 140 sq. km, the spokesperson said.
Leroy Castel, 53, fled Mathias Colomb by train with his girlfriend and a nephew four days ago, and is now staying at a medical home on Stradbrook Avenue.
It was rough ride packed in a baggage car, Castel added, with just a small bag of clothes and important papers.
He went to high school in Winnipeg, Castel said, visiting a hotel Wednesday afternoon, where many other evacuees and band leadership are staying.
“It’s OK for me, because I know how to get around, but other people are in distress, because the environment, they’re not used to being in the city,” Castel said.
“The biggest problem is the funding… Red Cross hasn’t given us any funding (yet) — but they’re doing a good job getting us here.”
A Red Cross spokesman said Tuesday those staying in hotels will receive support until the community’s chief and council determine it’s safe to return, due to an agreement between the Red Cross and Indigenous Services Canada.
Castel said he’s not too worried about his house in Pukatawagan — rather, he’s concerned for two dogs he had to leave behind.
Jimmy Colomb, 43, was also evacuated to The Pas four days ago by train, with just the clothes on his back. He then flew to Winnipeg.
Colomb said he’s frustrated with the support evacuees are receiving from band leadership, Red Cross and the federal government. He doesn’t even have his identification, he said.
“I hope our band leadership can help us,” Colomb said.
Meantime, the fires have damaged a number of hydro poles leading into Pukatawagan, so there is currently no power, the wildfire service spokesperson said. One small spot fire in the community was quickly extinguished by crews on the ground.
Manitoba Hydro will work to make repairs and restore power as soon as it is safe and they are able to access the area, the spokesperson said, adding the provincial Emergency Measures Organization and wildfire service are working with multiple agencies and First Nation leadership to ensure crews in the community are safe and have enough supplies.
According to the province, there 63 active wildfires currently burning. Manitoba has obtained the help of 61 firefighters from Ontario, as well as four water bombers from the Northwest Territories.
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: @erik_pindera
Erik Pindera is a reporter for the Free Press, mostly focusing on crime and justice. The born-and-bred Winnipegger attended Red River College Polytechnic, wrote for the community newspaper in Kenora, Ont. and reported on television and radio in Winnipeg before joining the Free Press in 2020. Read more about Erik.
Every piece of reporting Erik produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.