May 28, 2020

Winnipeg
10° C, Light rain showers

Full Forecast

Winnipeg Free Press

ABOVE THE FOLD

Help us deliver reliable news during this pandemic.

We are working tirelessly to bring you trusted information about COVID-19. Support our efforts by subscribing today.

No Thanks Subscribe

Already a subscriber?

Military casts Winnipeg neo-Nazi soldier out

'Decisive action' amounts to a suspension until extremist recruiter formally released

WFP Exclusive

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/8/2019 (275 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Canadian Armed Forces has stripped Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews of his uniforms, relieved him from his duties, and will formally release him from the military in the coming weeks, the Free Press has learned.

The actions come a week after the Free Press identified Mathews as a recruiter for the neo-Nazi paramilitary group known as The Base, which represents the most violent, radical fringes of the far-right hate movement.

"It is incumbent of our leaders to know their soldiers, and to take measures when they have acted in a manner that is not aligned with our beliefs and culture of respect for all people," a military spokeswoman said in a written statement Tuesday.

"We have taken decisive action, and we will continue to exert full energy in removing those from our ranks who harbour extremist ideologies."

“We have taken decisive action, and we will continue to exert full energy in removing those from our ranks who harbour extremist ideologies.” –Military statement

Mathews was scheduled to return to work for the Canadian Army Reserves as a combat engineer in September. The decision to relieve him from his duties is an administrative action that amounts to a suspension.

The military’s investigation into Mathews' conduct and extremist views continues. His formal release in the coming weeks will not preclude the Armed Forces from completing its probe and charging Mathews, if deemed appropriate.

"This means that (Mathews) will no longer be a participant in military activities in any form, and will not be returning to work. This action was deemed necessary, considering the seriousness of the allegations and the risk to unit morale and cohesion," the spokeswoman said.

Seven masked members of The Base shoot shotguns and semi-automatic rifles during a recent paramilitary 'hate camp' at an unknown location.

Seven masked members of The Base shoot shotguns and semi-automatic rifles during a recent paramilitary 'hate camp' at an unknown location.

Mathews was exposed as a member of the neo-Nazi group The Base after a Free Press reporter went undercover to infiltrate the organization as it conducted a recruitment drive in Winnipeg.

After posters emblazoned with fascistic imagery and bearing the phrase "Save your Race, Join The Base" started popping up around the city, a Free Press reporter reached out to the group posing as a white nationalist interested in joining.

The reporter passed through a multi-tiered vetting process that included email and encrypted messaging exchanges, a voice call with the group’s founder in the U.S., and an in-person meeting with its local activist. Then he was invited to become a member.

After an initial feature article on The Base entitled "Homegrown Hate" was published Aug. 16, the Free Press named Mathews as its local recruiter in a followup story Aug. 19.

Hours later, the RCMP raided Mathews' home, seized his firearms and briefly took him into custody. He has not been charged with a crime. The RCMP investigation is ongoing.

In the wake of the Free Press reports, the military held a press conference last week in which Commander 38 CBG Col. Gwen Bourque said Mathews last served with the reserves in May and at that time the Armed Forces had no idea there were any issues with him.

Two days later, this was contradicted by chief of defence staff Gen. Jonathan Vance, who said Mathews’ "utterances" first brought him on the radar of the national counter-intelligence unit in April.

The military later clarified that Bourque was mistaken in her comments and was not aware when Mathews had been flagged. It's not clear to what extent — if any — the military knew of Mathews' extremist views and membership in the neo-Nazi group.

Patrik Mathews will be released from the military.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Patrik Mathews will be released from the military.

Shortly after he appeared on the radar of the national counter-intelligence unit in April, Mathews had a sit-down meeting with his chain of command and put in a request for a voluntary release from the Forces, a process that can take more than a year to complete.

"His request for a voluntary release from the Canadian Armed Forces, which had been in progress since April, has been expedited and is expected to be finalized within weeks," the spokeswoman said.

Canadian Anti-Hate Network chair Bernie Farber said he’s pleased the military has moved quickly to deal with Mathews, but said it still needs to begin taking a more proactive approach to weeding out far-right extremists from its ranks.

He also said its disappointing it took a Free Press reporter to identify Mathews as a member of a neo-Nazi paramilitary group.

"We’re gratified that the Canadian Armed Forces moved so quickly, but I wish they would have discovered this themselves. To me, it seems if a Winnipeg Free Press reporter can find this out, certainly the criminal investigation division of the CAF has the ability to do the same," Farber said.

"They have to become much more transparent. Canadians have a right to know how the military is dealing with extremists in their realm. If a report had come out that there were members of ISIS in the CAF, rest assured this would have been resolved in 20 minutes."

ryan.thorpe@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @rk_thorpe

Ryan Thorpe

Ryan Thorpe
Reporter

Ryan Thorpe likes the pace of daily news, the feeling of a broadsheet in his hands and the stress of never-ending deadlines hanging over his head.

Read full biography

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press would like to thank our readers for their patience while comments were not available on our site. We're continuing to work with our commenting software provider on issues with the platform. In the meantime, if you're not able to see comments after logging in to our site, please try refreshing the page.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.