July 10, 2020

Winnipeg
19° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Close this

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Windsor Hotel shooting victim had pending gun charges

Winnipeg’s latest homicide victim had multiple criminal charges pending against him at the time he was shot to death Sunday morning at the Windsor Hotel.

Yassin Abdu Ahmed celebrated his 20th birthday just 12 days before he was killed at the downtown hotel, which has gained an increasingly infamous reputation.

At the time of his death, Yassin Abdu Ahmed was soon expected in court to face charges of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm in connection with a domestic incident on July 29, 2019. (GoFundMe)</p>

At the time of his death, Yassin Abdu Ahmed was soon expected in court to face charges of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm in connection with a domestic incident on July 29, 2019. (GoFundMe)

At the time of his death, Ahmed was soon expected in court to face charges of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm in connection with a domestic incident on July 29, 2019.

He was also accused of carrying a concealed handgun and possessing a handgun for a purpose dangerous to the public. A warrant for his arrest was issued Aug. 19.

He was released from custody on a $1,500 recognizance Sept. 6. His last court appearance before he died around 3 a.m. Sunday was Dec. 3.

Ahmed was under a number of court conditions, including a weapons ban and an order not to contact or go near the woman he was accused of threatening.

Winnipeg Police Service spokesman Const. Rob Carver said Monday investigators believe an altercation broke out inside the entrance of the Windsor Hotel at 187 Garry St., before spilling out into the neighbouring parking lot.

Carver said police do not believe it was a drive-by shooting. However, he added, investigators are looking into possible gang connections.

"I can tell you that in almost all situations of public shootings where the shooting moves out onto a street, that almost without question the underlying theme is gang involvement. Almost 100 per cent," Carver said.

Ahmed was one of three men shot during Sunday's incident. The victims were taken to hospital, where Ahmed was pronounced dead.

His slaying marks Winnipeg’s second homicide of 2020. Last year, Winnipeg recorded a record 44 homicides.

The two other victims — whose names have not been released — have since been upgraded to stable condition. It remains unclear what relationship — if any — they had to Ahmed.

Police have not announced any arrests in connection with the shooting.

On Monday, the Spence Neighbourhood Association held a memorial gathering for Ahmed, who’d spent time employed as a youth worker at both the Magnus Eliason Recreation Centre and Broadway Neighbourhood Centre.

Ahmed’s family was reportedly originally from Somalia. After fleeing war, they travelled to Sudan, where Ahmed was born in a refugee camp. The family settled in Winnipeg in 2010.

Anyone with information relevant to the investigation are asked to contact homicide investigators at 204-986-6508.

ryan.thorpe@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @rk_thorpe

Ryan Thorpe

Ryan Thorpe
Reporter

Ryan Thorpe likes the pace of daily news, the feeling of a broadsheet in his hands and the stress of never-ending deadlines hanging over his head.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us