News briefs for Wednesday, June 4, 2025
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/06/2025 (442 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Wednesday, June 4, 2025
Measles cases jump in Manitoba
4:07 PM
The number of confirmed measles cases in the province this year has jumped to 90.
Provincial officials released the figures, which are accurate as of May 31, on Wednesday afternoon.
That’s up from 72 confirmed and four probable cases as of May 24.
Recess, field trips cancelled due to poor air quality
2:56 PM
City schools cancelled outdoor recess and field trips at the eleventh-hour Wednesday as wildfire smoke choked the city of Winnipeg.
Families across the Louis Riel School Division learned the St. Vital board office had called off outdoor excursions, even though some students had already been dropped off at venues, in a mid-morning memo.
“Unfortunately, it is hard to predict changes in air quality,” senior administration wrote.
“The (Air Quality Health Index) was 3 early this morning at 5 a.m., 5 at 9 a.m., and was forecast to reach 8 later in the day. The index jumped quickly to 10+ at 10 a.m.”
High risk is considered 7 to 10 on the index and 10+ is considered very high risk.
There had been field trips scheduled for both Valour FC and Winnipeg Goldeyes games.
The division indicated it is “developing reimbursement options” in cases where students were charged for a trip.
Metro divisions have cancelled outdoor breaks and rescheduled extracurricular events throughout the week in response to extremely poor air quality.
North Shore Fishery foods recalled
2:10 PM
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency announced Wednesday it is recalling North Shore Fishery brand frozen breaded shrimp patties and frozen tempura shrimp rolls as allergens egg, soy and milk were not declared on the label.
The items, sold in Manitoba and B.C., should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.

North Shore Fishery frozen breaded shrimp patties

North Shore Fishery frozen tempura shrimp rolls
Ottawa, Manitoba matching wildfire donations
1:36 PM
The federal and provincial governments are matching financial donations to the Canadian Red Cross’ wildfire appeal to help thousands of Manitobans who’ve been forced to flee their communities.
Every $1 that is donated will become $3 over a 30-day period retroactive to May 28, when the appeal began, the federal government said in a news release.
Ottawa said it will match donations up to $30 million, while the Manitoba government will match donations up to $15 million.
The funds will help to provide immediate and ongoing relief, including financial assistance, support for communities that are hosting evacuees, and recovery and future wildfire protection efforts.
The Manitoba government has said about 17,000 people have been displaced by fires in the province.
Two arrested after break-in at Lac du Bonnet biz
1:15 PM
Two men were arrested after police observed a break-and-enter at a Lac du Bonnet business.
After arriving at the Minnewawa Street business at 5 a.m. on May 29, RCMP officers said they saw a utility task vehicle driven off the yard at a high rate of speed.
Officers chased the vehicle until it abruptly stopped. Two males were arrested without incident.
RCMP later determined the side-by-side vehicle was stolen from the business and other stolen items were scattered nearby. The total value of the items is $27,000.
A 26-year-old man and a 40-year-old man, both from Fort Alexander, were charged with break and enter, theft over $5,000, flight from police and possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000.
They were remanded in custody.
Selinger to receive honorary doctorate from St. B university
12:35 PM
Saint-Boniface University will award former premier Greg Selinger an honorary doctorate in recognition of his longtime commitment to French-language education and “indelible mark” on Manitoba.
The honorary doctorate — the highest degree granted by the francophone university, the only one of its kind in western Canada — will be unveiled at a convocation ceremony on June 16. It is being conferred in partnership with the University of Manitoba.
Selinger, 74, served as the 21st premier of Manitoba from 2009 to 2016.

Greg Selinger was premier from 2009 to 2016.
Infant wildfire evacuees can get measles vaccine: officials
11:15 AM
Provincial health officials are encouraging parents who’ve evacuated due to wildfires to vaccinate their babies for measles, amid an outbreak of the highly infectious disease in Manitoba.
The health department has expanded measles vaccine eligibility to infants, aged six months to 12 months, who’ve been evacuated from their home communities.
“One dose of MMR vaccine can be provided in addition to the routine schedule offered at 12 months of age and between four and six years old,” the province said in a bulletin on Wednesday.
Public health officials also said Wednesday anyone who attended the Boundary Trails Health Centre emergency room in Winkler on May 22 from 6 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. may have been exposed to measles. Anyone who was there at the time should monitor for symptoms until June 13.
A total of 72 confirmed and four probable cases of measles have been reported in the province this year as of May 24.
Hudbay mine pauses operations due to wildfires
10:23 AM
Hudbay Minerals has temporarily suspended its Snow Lake mining operations amid wildfire evacuation notices.
Essential Hudbay staff are authorized by emergency services to remain on site, a report to investors reads. The company has tabbed $1 million in financial support for its evacuated employees.
Vacant Aberdeen Avenue house burns
10:21 AM
A vacant home on Aberdeen Avenue burned early Wednesday morning.
The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service was called to the house on Aberdeen, between Charles and Salter streets, just before 5 a.m.
Firefighters found smoke and flames coming from the house, but managed to get the blaze under control by just after 5:20 a.m.
Crews searched inside and found the house vacant. No one was hurt.
Late night fight ends in Spence neighbourhood stabbing
10:16 AM
A fight in the Spence neighbourhood ended in a stabbing early Tuesday morning, leaving one man seriously injured and another in police custody.
The incident occurred just after midnight on the 500 block of Furby Street. Police learned the victim and another man were socializing at a residence there when a fight broke out and one man assaulted the other with an edged weapon, the Winnipeg Police Service said in a news release Wednesday.
The suspect fled after the attack, but was located by a police drone in the 400 block of Langside Street and arrested. The 30-year-old victim was taken to hospital in unstable condition, WPS said.
The man in his 20s is facing four weapons, assault, and breach-related charges. He was detained in custody, police said.
City police seek to identify suspect accused of indecent acts
9:50 AM
City police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man suspected of committing indecent acts against two women in public.
The Winnipeg Police Service received two separate reports of offences alleged to have happened between March and April. Images of a suspect were captured on surveillance cameras, police said in a news release.
The suspect is described as a man in his 20s with slight facial hair and collar-length dark hair. He may be wearing a ball cap with white spiders on it, or a ball cap with a red “S,” police said.
Anybody who recognizes the suspect is asked to contact the Sex Crimes Unit at 204-986-6245, Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477 (TIPS), or submit an anonymous tip online at winnipegcrimestoppers.org.

