News briefs for Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Violent offender expected to live in Winnipeg

8:09 PM

Police are alerting the public about a sex offender released from custody Wednesday who is considered a high risk to reoffend.

Lorne Bradburn, 22, is expected to live in Winnipeg. He was released from Stony Mountain Institution after 1,472 days in custody, the Manitoba Integrated High Risk Sex Offender Unit — a joint unit composed of Winnipeg Police Service and RCMP members — said in a release.

He has a history of violent offences and remains a high-risk to reoffend. Police said in the release Bradburn has a “lengthy criminal record” that includes assault, assaulting a peace officer with a weapon and uttering threats.

He has to follow strict conditions including no alcohol or drugs, no weapons, and no contact with any person under the age of 16 unless under supervision. He’s also prohibited from public parks, pools and anywhere else people under 16 may be.

Anyone with information about Bradburn can call Manitoba’s integrated high risk sex offender unit at (431) 489-8056, Winnipeg police at 204-986-6222 or to call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

SUPPLIED
Police are cautioning the public about Lorne Bradburn, 22, who is at a high risk to reoffend and is expected to live in Winnipeg after he was released Wednesday.

Man charged with robbery at downtown biz

4:17 PM

A man is in custody after entering a downtown business and threatening staffers with a knife, police said Wednesday.

Police were called to the building on the 400 block of Main Street Tuesday at about 4:30 p.m., the Winnipeg Police Service said in a Wednesday release.

After investigating, police learned the man had entered the business earlier “in an agitated state,” flashed a knife and threatened staff. Police said the man refused to let three employees leave and demanded one of them hand over their cellphone.

A fight ensued and two staffers sustained minor cuts in an attempt to disarm the accused.

Donald Justin Grant, 32, was charged with robbery, assault with a weapon, forcible confinement and uttering threats.

He remains in custody.

Stolen daycare play structure recovered

4:03 PM

Winnipeg police have recovered a play structure stolen from a school in Headingley last week.

After an investigation, the Winnipeg Police Service executed a warrant Tuesday at a residence on the 100 block of Stranmillis Avenue, a news release stated Wednesday.

The playground equipment was found at the St. Vital home, along with a stolen recreational vehicle, police said.

The structure was stolen from the Guiding Minds Montessori School grounds Friday.

“WPS returned our dismantled play structure on a flatbed tow truck,” the private school, for children aged 18 months to six years, said in a Facebook post Wednesday. “Unfortunately, the structure is not usable.”

A 35-year-old man has been charged with two counts of break and enter and theft. He remains in custody.

Thompson RCMP searching for missing 26-year-old woman

12:33 PM

RCMP in Thompson are asking for the public’s help locating a missing 26-year-old woman.

Police say Shyanne Dorion was reported missing around 11 p.m. on Saturday after she failed to return home to an address on McGill Place. She was last seen earlier that day.

Dorion is described as five-foot-two and approximately 100 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a black hoodie, white shorts and black leggings.

RCMP say they are concerned for her wellbeing.

If someone has seen Dorion or has any information on her whereabouts, please call the Thompson RCMP at 204-677-6909, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477, or secure tip online at www.manitobacrimestoppers.com.

Shyanne Dorion. Supplied Photo.

Woman accused of taking man hostage

12:32 PM

A 31-year-old Long Plain First Nation woman is accused of holding a man hostage in the community.

Manitoba First Nations Police Service officers received a call on the morning of May 18 from an “erratic male,” who said he was being held against his will, a Wednesday news release stated.

Police caught up with the man and “ensured his safety,” the release said.

MFNPS and RCMP executed a search warrant at the woman’s home on May 25 and arrested her.

Melanie Nicole Meeches has been charged with multiple offences including forcible confinement, assault with a weapon, administering a noxious thing, extortion and possession of cocaine.

Police asked anyone with information to contact the MFNPS Sandy Bay First Nation detachment at 204-843-7705, or the MFNPS tips line anonymously at 1-833-978-0048 or by email at TIPS@mfnp.ca.

Neighbourhood action teams grow

12:06 PM

Winnipeg’s neighbourhood action teams are expanding for the summer.

Crews are out patching potholes, fixing broken signs and sidewalks, cleaning up fallen tree branches and doing maintenance on boulevards, the city said in a news release Wednesday.

The program began last year and has expanded to five seven-person teams that will rotate through all 15 wards from May to October. Crews expect to spend a month in each area.

There were three teams with six members each last year.

The goal is to tidy up the city in a quick manner and deal with the most common 311 requests.

The crews are currently working in the Old Kildonan, North Kildonan, Point Douglas, Mynarski and Elmwood-East Kildonan wards. The full schedule can be viewed at: winnipeg.ca/actionteams.

RCMP arrest 15-year-old after double shooting in Pukatawagan

10:11 AM

A 15-year-old boy is facing several charges after two people were shot in Mathias Colomb Cree Nation.

RCMP said the youth, who cannot be identified, was arrested in the community on Tuesday evening after a search. A brief shelter-in-place was ordered for the community, about 800 kilometres north of Winnipeg.

The teen’s arrest comes after a 21-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy were shot while on an all-terrain vehicle in the northern Manitoba First Nation, also known as Pukatawagan.

Both victims were brought to a local nursing station and flown to a Winnipeg hospital. One of the victims has life-threatening injuries.

The 15-year-old is charged with aggravated assault, discharge firearm with intent, unauthorized possession of firearm, possession of a controlled substance and other firearm-related offences. He remains in custody.

Shipping containers, equipment burned in Wednesday morning industrial fire

9:01 AM

A fire involving shipping containers and equipment near a Winnipeg industrial area brought train traffic to a standstill Wednesday morning, as fire crews worked to extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters returning from a call spotted smoke coming from a property on the 500 block of Messier Street around 6:10 a.m. Due to the fire’s proximity to nearby rail lines, train traffic was temporarily halted as a precaution, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

Fire crews declared the blaze under control just over 30 minutes later. No injuries were reported, the release said.

In a separate incident around 3 a.m., firefighters responded to a two-storey house on the 300 block of William Newton Avenue. Crews encountered heavy smoke and flames billowing from the home and launched an exterior fire attack. Once conditions improved, they moved inside and declared the fire under control around 4:30 a.m., WFPS said.

A drone was deployed during the fire response to help crews identify hotspots. No occupants were found inside the building, and no injuries were reported.

Both fires are under investigation. Damage estimates are not available, WFPS said.

History

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 9:01 AM CDT: Shipping containers, equipment burned in Wednesday morning industrial fire

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 10:11 AM CDT: RCMP arrest 15-year-old after double shooting in Pukatawagan

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 12:06 PM CDT: Neighbourhood action teams grow

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 12:32 PM CDT: Woman accused of taking man hostage

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 12:33 PM CDT: Thompson RCMP searching for missing 26-year-old woman

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 4:03 PM CDT: Stolen daycare play structure recovered

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 4:17 PM CDT: Man charged with robbery at downtown biz

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 6:03 PM CDT: Stolen daycare play structure recovered

Updated on Wednesday, May 27, 2026 8:09 PM CDT: Violent offender expected to live in Winnipeg

Report Error Submit a Tip

News Briefs

LOAD NEWS BRIEFS ARTICLES