Manitoba marks 15 more pandemic deaths, 292 new cases of COVID-19
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/12/2020 (2076 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Manitoba has announced its fourth consecutive day of less than 300 new COVID-19 cases.
On Wednesday, the province reported 292 new cases of the novel coronavirus and 15 more pandemic deaths
Ten of the most recent fatalities were from Winnipeg: a man in his 40s; a woman in her 50s; a man in his 60s; two women in their 70s; a man in his 70s; a woman in her 80s; two men in their 90s; and a woman in her 100s.
Two were from the Interlake-Eastern health region (a woman in her 40s, a man in his 50s), two were from Prairie Mountain (a man in his 70s, a man in his 80s), and one was from Southern Health (a man in his 80s).
Eight out of the 15 deaths were linked to outbreaks at personal care homes.
The five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate in Winnipeg was 13.7 per cent, and 13.6 per cent across the province.
Chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin’s message to Manitobans was brief Wednesday, and focused on the holidays: even as the province plans to vaccinate 900 heath-care workers over the next three days, the public needs to remain vigilant.
“We know that this holiday season is going to be much different than last year and other years. Right now, I need to remind everyone to stay safe at home with the people you live with,” Roussin said.
“We can’t have people visit right now, even over the holiday season. We have to stay safe.”
Roussin also took time to send a message directly to children, saying while the pandemic restriction rules may seem difficult, they will pass if everyone sticks to public health guidelines.
“Premier (Brian) Pallister and I, we’ve worked with others in the government and we’ve made some special changes for Santa Claus,” he said.
“Santa Claus is certainly an essential worker, meaning he’s allowed to come to Manitoba, and able to come to anyone’s house.”
malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: malakabas_
Malak Abas is a city reporter at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg’s North End, she led the campus paper at the University of Manitoba before joining the Free Press in 2020. Read more about Malak.
Every piece of reporting Malak produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.