May 26, 2020

Winnipeg
16° C, Mainly clear

Full Forecast

Help us deliver reliable news during this pandemic.

We are working tirelessly to bring you trusted information about COVID-19. Support our efforts by subscribing today.

No Thanks Subscribe

Already a subscriber?

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Province to refund $37 million in WCB premiums to employers

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES</p><p>Premier Brian Pallister announced Tuesday the Workers Compensation Board will return close to $37 million in surplus funds to employers.</p></p>

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Premier Brian Pallister announced Tuesday the Workers Compensation Board will return close to $37 million in surplus funds to employers.

The Free Press has made this story available free of charge so everyone can access trusted information on the coronavirus.

Support this work and subscribe today

Premier Brian Pallister announced Tuesday the Workers Compensation Board will return close to $37 million in surplus funds to employers.

"This will keep our workers compensation structure strong, but it allows us to return money to businesses at a time when cash flow is a real challenge," Pallister said at a news conference.

In May, eligible employers will receive a credit to their account based on 20 per cent of 2019 premiums, he said.

News of the refund was warmly greeted by business.

"It’s absolutely good news," said Jonathan Alward, director of provincial affairs with the Manitoba branch of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

He said the refunds will help businesses reduce their costs.

Last May, Manitoba businesses received refunds totalling $74 million.

"This has real benefits and not just to the private sector," Pallister said.

Of the $37 million, an expected $29 million will be returned to the private sector, with approximately $7 million going to small businesses in Manitoba, the WCB said in a press release.

In the health-care sector, which includes regional health authorities, CancerCare Manitoba and Riverview Health Centre, it equates to a $6.2-million refund, Pallister said.

A news release said the WCB board of directors has approved and authorized returning the $37 million in surplus funds to employers.

Earlier this month, the WCB announced it would defer premium payments until the end of May, not charge businesses interest or penalties for non-payment until October, extend the payroll-reporting deadline until the end of May and ensure that coverage remains active for accounts that choose to defer payments until the end of October.

The WCB is a mutual workplace injury and disability statutory corporation funded by employer premiums. It insures more than 34,000 employers and 76 per cent of the Manitoba workforce.

— Staff

 

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

History

Updated on Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 7:38 PM CDT: Final version.

The Free Press would like to thank our readers for their patience while comments were not available on our site. We're continuing to work with our commenting software provider on issues with the platform. In the meantime, if you're not able to see comments after logging in to our site, please try refreshing the page.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us