Farrell not going anywhere, say Blue Jays

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays shut the door on manager John Farrell bolting for the Boston Red Sox before their American League East rival could even come knocking.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/10/2011 (5321 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO — The Toronto Blue Jays shut the door on manager John Farrell bolting for the Boston Red Sox before their American League East rival could even come knocking.

With speculation growing that the Red Sox had interest in Farrell, the Blue Jays announced a change to team policy Tuesday that forbids employees from leaving to take the same job with another organization.

Pressed for specifics on the policy, general manager Alex Anthopoulos said during a conference call that it wouldn’t be lifted even if another team offered compensation in exchange for a Blue Jays employee.

“Totally, 100 per cent, lateral moves (will be blocked),” said Anthopoulos. “That’s exactly the way it reads.”

Anthopoulos had previously been on record as saying that employees were permitted to speak with any team about any job at any time. It had been a long-standing policy within the organization dating back to Paul Beeston’s first stint as CEO from 1989-1997.

Both of those men were besieged by interview requests following a report in Sunday’s Boston Globe that the Red Sox were interested in hiring Farrell, their former pitching coach.

Beeston and Anthopoulos modified the open-door policy, but the GM denies the change had anything to do with concerns Farrell might leave.

“There hasn’t been a fear (of that),” said Anthopoulos. “It’s just come to the point that we’ve been inundated across the board — our CEO (Beeston), myself, our employees. It’s starting to become a distraction and it’s certainly taking away from the work day.”

— The Canadian Press

Report Error Submit a Tip

Baseball

LOAD BASEBALL ARTICLES