No white flags on Jets’ bench
Players not ready to give up on season despite grim outlook
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$0 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/02/2016 (3563 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
PITTSBURGH — They lost two of their top three goal scorers in one day this week — one to trade, the other to injury.
Even with a gritty 6-3 win over the Dallas Stars Thursday, they’re still tied for second-last in the Western Conference.
So no, it ain’t looking good for the Winnipeg Jets right now. And no one is pretending otherwise.
But while Thursday’s trade of Andrew Ladd and the announcement Bryan Little is out for the season with a back injury seemed to signal a turning point where hopes of a playoff spot have now run smack into hard reality, the message out of the team’s dressing room Friday is it is still business as usual. Even if it’s not.
“We’re still trying to win games,” said Jets centre Adam Lowry. “Last year, you look at it — we were missing our top four D and we were still pushing for the playoffs. And this year is no different. We know our situation is not looking ideal…
“Obviously, you lose two players like that, it’s going to be tough. But we’re not looking to the future right now. We’re looking to win games every night.”
C notes
Jets head coach Paul Maurice says there’s been no decision on who will take over for Ladd as the Jets captain or when that decision will be made.
Maurice told reporters Friday he will meet with individual players as well as GM Kevin Cheveldayoff and Jets ownership before a decision is made on who will get the ‘C.’
“We’re going to go through a process,” said Maurice. “We have some strong candidates and management and ownership will be involved. We’ll talk about it, we’ll talk to different players about how they feel about it, how it fits…
“Being the captain of a hockey team in Canada, there’s more to it than just the symbolic ‘C’ on your sweater, more than just talking to the officials. You become the face of a franchise. And because of the scrutiny of a Canadian franchise, you have to answer questions at tough times.”
Maurice said “it’s a real possibility we have a new captain this season” but also didn’t rule out waiting until next season to appoint one.
‘…There’s more to it than just the symbolic ‘C’ on your sweater, more than just talking to the officials. You become the face of a franchise’– Jets coach Paul Maurice on the process to select a new captain
“I don’t want to put any expectations on it,” said Maurice. “It’s not something you want to be flipping every couple years. It’s something you want some stability… We’re all aware of who the obvious candidates are. But we’re going to talk about a lot of guys.”
Hutchinson gets call
Maurice said Michael Hutchinson will get his second straight start for the Jets in net — and third in the last four games — against the Pittsburgh Penguins this afternoon.
Maurice explained his decision by pointing out Ondrej Pavelec has struggled in Pittsburgh and that Pavelec will likely get the start Tuesday at home against the Florida Panthers.
paul.wiecek@freepress.mb.caTwitter: @PaulWiecek