Vinicius Junior has ankle injury, could miss about 2 months
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/03/2019 (2722 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MADRID – Vinicius Juniors is expected to be sidelined for about two months because of an ankle injury sustained in Real Madrid’s 4-1 loss to Ajax in the Champions League.
The young Brazilian is expected to be dropped from Brazil’s squad that will play friendlies against Panama and the Czech Republic later this month.
Real Madrid said exams on Wednesday showed a ligament tear in his right ankle. The club did not say how much time Vinicius Junior will need to recover, but Spanish media said similar injuries usually keep players sidelined for about eight weeks.
Vinicius Junior was hurt at the end of a long run in which he nearly scored for Madrid on Tuesday in the first half of the game against Ajax at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium. He tried to continue after being attended by doctors but was soon taken off. The youngster cried as he made his way back to the bench, loudly applauded by fans.
The speedy and skilful forward recently took over Gareth Bale’s spot in Madrid’s starting lineup. He had been playing well but endured some criticism for missing too many clear chances in front of goal.
The loss to Ajax eliminated Madrid from the Champions League, ending its three-year reign as champion. It was the team’s fourth consecutive home loss in all competitions, following two against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey and the Spanish league, results that left Madrid without a realistic chance of winning anything for the rest of the season.
The 18-year-old Vinicius Junior joined Madrid last year after the Spanish team paid 45 million euros ($51 million) to Brazilian club Flamengo.
Madrid’s next match is Sunday against Valladolid in the Spanish league, a competition in which it trails leader Barcelona by 12 points with 12 matches left.
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports