FIFA denies request from Chelsea to freeze transfer ban

Advertisement

Advertise with us

GENEVA - Chelsea's request to freeze its one-year transfer ban while it challenges the punishment was rejected by FIFA on Friday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/03/2019 (2720 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

GENEVA – Chelsea’s request to freeze its one-year transfer ban while it challenges the punishment was rejected by FIFA on Friday.

The English club could now ask the Court of Arbitration for Sport to grant an interim ruling, which would allow players to be signed in the off-season.

Chelsea was banned from registering new players for two transfer periods — after this season and January 2020 — for breaking rules designed to protect teenage players. The club denies wrongdoing.

Chelsea's Pedro Rodriguez reacts after missing a shot during the Europa League round of 16, first leg soccer match between Chelsea and Dynamo Kyiv at Stamford Bridge stadium in London, Thursday, March 7, 2019. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)
Chelsea's Pedro Rodriguez reacts after missing a shot during the Europa League round of 16, first leg soccer match between Chelsea and Dynamo Kyiv at Stamford Bridge stadium in London, Thursday, March 7, 2019. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)

“Chelsea Football Club is astonished by the FIFA Appeal Committee’s decision not to suspend its sanction pending completion of the appeal process,” the London club said in a statement.

The FIFA disciplinary committee said last month that Chelsea violated rules in 29 cases. FIFA also imposed a fine of 600,000 Swiss francs ($600,000).

In previous similar cases involving top Spanish clubs, FIFA granted provisional measures which meant transfer bans were not enforced during the appeal process.

“Chelsea considers that it is being treated inconsistently in comparison with other European clubs,” the statement said.

Barcelona successfully froze its April 2014 ban and used the off-season to sign a slew of players, including Luis Suarez from Liverpool, and then won the Champions League title.

Key players Ivan Rakitic and Marc-Andre ter Stegen also signed while the ban was on hold. They were joined by Thomas Vermaelen, Jeremy Mathieu and Claudio Bravo as Barcelona loaded up on talent ahead of being unable to register new players in 2015 after its full appeal against FIFA was lost at CAS.

Friday’s ruling hints at a change of philosophy at FIFA with new senior lawyers and a different appeals chairman.

Thomas Bodstrom, a former justice minister in Sweden who rejected Chelsea’s request, joined soccer’s governing body after cases involving Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid were decided.

FIFA prohibits international transfers on minors unless their families moved to a country for non-soccer reasons, or are close to the border of another nation. Exceptions within the European Union and European Economic Community allows the transfer of 16- to 18-year-old players if standards on education and living conditions are met.

Some of the Chelsea cases involved players under the age of 18 spending too much time on trial while not registered with England’s soccer federation, which was also fined by FIFA.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES