South Korea World Cup visit to Pyongyang confirmed

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - South Korea has confirmed that it will play its upcoming World Cup qualifier against North Korea in Pyongyang, allaying concerns that the Oct. 15 game would be moved elsewhere.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/09/2019 (2520 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of – South Korea has confirmed that it will play its upcoming World Cup qualifier against North Korea in Pyongyang, allaying concerns that the Oct. 15 game would be moved elsewhere.

In an official announcement, the Korea Football Association (KFA) in Seoul said it had been informed by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) that North Korea will host the Group H game as scheduled.

It will be only the second visit by the South Korean men’s team to Pyongyang, following an international friendly that took place in 1990.

The KFA says, “On Monday, an official of the AFC had a meeting with the vice-president of the North Korean Football Association in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. The North Korean federation said they will treat our team just the same as the other teams in Group H.”

A first competitive meeting in Pyongyang would be symbolic as the two countries are still technically at war because the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty.

During qualification for the 2010 World Cup, North Korea chose to host games against South Korea in Shanghai.

North Korea sits on top of the group with two wins from its opening two games in the second round of Asian qualification, including a win in Pyongyang against Lebanon. South Korea has played only one game so far, winning 2-0 in Turkmenistan.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES