Cafu closes foundation due to financial difficulties
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/12/2019 (2430 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
SAO PAULO – Former Brazil soccer captain Cafu announced on Monday the closing of his foundation due to financial problems. Earlier this year, Cafu said the 16-year-old institution’s social work cost him $40,000 per month.
The former AC Milan and Roma right-back said the decision comes after two years of difficulties. Fundação Cafu supports almost 900 children of Sao Paulo’s impoverished Jardim Irene region, which the player paid a tribute to on his shirt as he lifted the 2002 World Cup trophy.
“Today we put an end to this cycle, but we have a request: keep fostering dreams! Dream higher. Have faith and courage,” Fundação Cafu’s statement reads.
The statement also said the decision comes after “one of the biggest losses” of Cafu’s life, a reference to the death of his 29-year-old son Danilo from a heart attack in September.
Cafu, 49, has reportedly faced other financial problems in recent years.
____
More AP sports https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports