Austria to investigate clubs for breaching testing rules
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/07/2020 (2237 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
VIENNA – The Austrian soccer league has started an investigation into the coronavirus testing procedures of all 16 second-division teams after three players from one club tested positive over the weekend.
Each club must provide receipts and test results to prove that all players have been tested on a weekly basis since play resumed on June 5 after a 12-week break, the league told the Austria Press Agency on Tuesday.
The investigation comes after last-place Kapfenberger SV apparently breached the anti-coronavirus rules by failing to structurally test its players.
The league opened proceedings against Kapfenberg on Monday.
While Kapfenberg initially denied any wrongdoing, club president Erwin Fuchs later acknowledged that the team doctor had probably overlooked a few players during testing last week.
Fuchs called it “a human mistake” in an interview with Austrian TV station ORF.
After one player was found positive on Friday, Kapfenberg’s league match that day against Wacker Innsbruck was rescheduled for Tuesday and the team went into quarantine in a sports academy near the stadium.
All players underwent another test, with results the next day coming back positive for two more players.
Kapfenberg’s game against Wacker has been postponed once more, until next week, but the club said it expected to play again in an away game at 14th-ranked GAK in Gleisdorf on Saturday.
Four rounds are remaining this season in the second division, from which no teams will be relegated.
___
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports