Man Utd fights back to beat West Ham 3-1 before 2,000 fans
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/12/2020 (2082 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
LONDON – Manchester United scored three goals in 13 minutes in a brilliant second-half comeback to beat West Ham 3-1 Saturday in the first Premier League match with fans in attendance since the coronavirus outbreak in March.
Trailing 1-0 at halftime in front of 2,000 supporters at the Olympic Stadium, United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer introduced substitutes Bruno Fernandes and Marcus Rashford, who had been left out of the starting lineup because they were carrying minor injuries. They changed the game.
Paul Pogba ran onto a pass from Fernandes and curled a long-range shot into the corner in the 65th minute, before smart buildup play involving Fernandes ended in Mason Greenwood controlling a left-wing cross and driving home a finish in the 68th.
Rashford then ran onto Juan Mata’s through-ball and chipped the goalkeeper for the third goal in the 78th, ensuring United maintained its 100% away record.
Just last weekend, United came from two goals down to beat Southampton away.
“When you are 1-0, 2-0 down, the boys still believe,” Solskjaer said, “and that character is important.”
West Ham went ahead through tall midfielder Tomas Soucek at a corner in the 38th and should have been leading by a bigger margin at halftime as Jarrod Bowen, in particular, ran rings around United’s defenders.
Bowen had a goal disallowed for a narrow offside, and teammate Pablo Fornals poked a shot against the post.
Fernandes and Rashford started as substitutes with Solskjaer wanting to give them some rest amid a busy run of games that sees United play Leipzig in a huge Champions League fixture on Tuesday and then Manchester City in a Premier League derby on Saturday.
“You have a duty to be ready when you are called upon,” Solskjaer said. “Bruno and Marcus came on and did well.
“First half we had loads of possession but we didn’t go anywhere with the ball. Second half we stretched them more and ran in behind. The quality was much better. The goals were exceptional.”
West Ham manager David Moyes was unhappy that United’s first goal was allowed to stand, believing a long clearance from goalkeeper Dean Henderson — filling in for the injured David De Gea — drifted out of play before being latched onto by Fernandes.
“The linesman is claiming he didn’t see it. It was a poor decision,” Moyes said. “The ball was out of play, the players’ reaction gives the best way to look at it and all our players knew it was out of play as well.
”(After that) we turned off.”
Fans were allowed to return to British soccer grounds this week at the end of a second national lockdown.
England is the first of the major soccer nations to allow supporters back into football games during COVID-19’s second wave.
Fans, wearing face masks, were spread out in the lower and middle tiers of the Olympic Stadium.
“I am pleased the fans saw a performance that was very good, certainly for 60 minutes,” Moyes said. “Just disappointed we couldn’t give them a result.”
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports