Copa Sudamericana semifinal postponed due to COVID-19 risks

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SANTIAGO, Chile - South American soccer body CONMEBOL called off Thursday's first leg of the Copa Sudamericana semifinal between Chile's Coquimbo and Argentina's Defensa y Justicia. The decision came hours before kickoff after local health authorities confirmed three players of the visiting Argentinian side tested positive for COVID-19.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/01/2021 (2048 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SANTIAGO, Chile – South American soccer body CONMEBOL called off Thursday’s first leg of the Copa Sudamericana semifinal between Chile’s Coquimbo and Argentina’s Defensa y Justicia. The decision came hours before kickoff after local health authorities confirmed three players of the visiting Argentinian side tested positive for COVID-19.

Chilean authorities said the 56 members of the Argentine team’s delegation in Santiago had close contact with the infected players and should remain isolated at their hotel.

CONMEBOL said the match has been rescheduled for next Tuesday in Asunción, Paraguay. The Chilean team based in a city 460 kilometres (285 miles) north of Santiago had already lost the right to play at home, having its first leg transferred to the country’s capital.

Players of Argentina's Defensa y Justicia celebrate at the end of a Copa Sudamericana quarterfinal second leg soccer match at Norberto Tomaghello stadium in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2020. Defensa y Justicia won 4-2 on aggregate and advances for the semifinals. (Juan Mabromata/Pool via AP)
Players of Argentina's Defensa y Justicia celebrate at the end of a Copa Sudamericana quarterfinal second leg soccer match at Norberto Tomaghello stadium in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2020. Defensa y Justicia won 4-2 on aggregate and advances for the semifinals. (Juan Mabromata/Pool via AP)

The other semifinal of the tournament is an all Argentine affair that had its first leg on Wednesday. Visitors Lanus beat Velez Sarsfield 1-0 with a goal scored by veteran striker Jose Sand in the 39th minute.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES