Argentinian president considers hosting entire Copa America
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/05/2021 (1921 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
BUENOS AIRES (AP) — Argentinian President Alberto Fernández said Tuesday his country would consider hosting the entire Copa America if Colombia is unable to co-host because of social unrest.
It was the first time an Argentinian official publicly acknowledged the possibility of hosting the full tournament, scheduled for June 13 to July 10.
“We can analyze organizing all of Copa America in Argentina,” Fernández told radio Diez.
Fernández’ statements came as doubts emerged about Colombia’s ability to co-host the tournament amid protests against the administration of President Iván Duque. The Colombian government insists it can.
Last week, police and protesters clashed in the cities of Pereira and Barranquilla, the latter of which is scheduled to hold the Copa America final.
A Copa Libertadores match last week between Colombia’s América de Cali and Brazil’s Atlético Mineiro was interrupted several times because of tear gas used to disperse the protesters.
The original Copa America plan has Buenos Aires hosting the opening match, a quarterfinal and a semifinal. The cities of Córdoba, Mendoza and Santiago del Estero will hold matches of Group A.
Fernández added that Copa America will be played without attendance in Argentinian stadia. More than 71,000 people have died of COVID-19 in the South American country.
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports