Dortmund signs Modeste as illness-struck Haller replacement
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/08/2022 (1470 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
DORTMUND, Germany (AP) — Borussia Dortmund signed French forward Anthony Modeste from Bundesliga rival Cologne on Monday to compensate for Sébastien Haller’s illness-enforced absence.
The 34-year-old Modeste completed a medical checkup in Dortmund and signed a one-year contract.
“We made a conscious decision after analyzing the past season to sign a more classic striker who gives our offensive game a certain physicality, who’s good at heading the ball and a goal threat,” Dortmund sporting director Sebastian Kehl said.
Dortmund had already signed Haller from Ajax for 31 million euros ($31.5 million) to fill that role, but he had to leave the team’s preseason training camp due to a testicular tumor. The 28-year-old Haller needs chemotherapy.
“Given the background of Sébastien Haller’s illness, we’re glad that we were able to add such a forward as Anthony Modeste to our squad for the current season at short notice,” Kehl said.
Modeste has scored 83 goals and set up 16 more in 190 Bundesliga games for Hoffenheim and in three stints at Cologne. He scored 20 in 32 league appearances for Cologne last season.
“The offer from Dortmund gave me the unique opportunity at my age to also play in the Champions League and to prove myself at the highest level,” Modeste said. The forward expressed his thanks to Cologne, where the timing of the transfer has not pleased coach Steffen Baumgart.
“It makes me sick,” Baumgart said Sunday.
Modeste is likely Dortmund’s final signing of the offseason after Haller, goalkeepers Marcel Lotka and Alexander Meyer, midfielder Salih Özcan, defenders Niklas Süle and Nico Schlotterbeck, and Germany forward Karim Adeyemi.
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports