Spanish league attacks FIFA’s plan for bigger Club World Cup

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MADRID (AP) — The Spanish league isn't happy with FIFA’s plan for a bigger Club World Cup, and says it would do more harm than good.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/12/2022 (1340 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MADRID (AP) — The Spanish league isn’t happy with FIFA’s plan for a bigger Club World Cup, and says it would do more harm than good.

“FIFA only takes into account a small group of clubs and players, when in professional football there are many professional leagues, thousands of clubs and players who do not participate in these international competitions,” the Spanish league said Saturday.

“FIFA seems to forget that and only thinks of a few, without knowing the impact on all in professional football.”

FIFA President Gianni Infantino meets the media at the FIFA World Cup closing press conference in Doha, Qatar, Friday, Dec. 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino meets the media at the FIFA World Cup closing press conference in Doha, Qatar, Friday, Dec. 16, 2022. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

A day after FIFA president Gianni Infantino presented his vision of a 32-team Club World Cup for 2025, the Spanish league said this and other FIFA decisions “made unilaterally and without notice regarding the calendar with new international tournaments irreversibly damage the entire football ecosystem.”

The 2021 edition, won by Chelsea, involved seven teams.

Infantino, speaking at the World Cup in Qatar, said the 32-team Club World Cup “will go ahead, making it really like a World Cup.”

Infantino also floated the idea of a four-team friendly tournament for national sides in March in even-numbered years before major championships, along with other tweaks to the calendar. This comes after FIFA had already solidified plans to increase the World Cup field from 32 to 48 teams in 2026.

The Spanish league said it would consider taking legal action “to prevent the Club World Cup with the announced format.”

The World Leagues Forum had already voiced similar complaints about not being consulted before Infantino announced the plans. An expanded Club World Cup was also questioned by the global players’ union FIFPRO as being detrimental to players’ health.

___

AP World Cup coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/world-cup and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES