US Soccer Federation refuses MLS attempt to pull top rosters from US Open Cup

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CHICAGO (AP) — The U.S. Soccer Federation refused Major League Soccer's attempt to pull its top rosters from next year's U.S. Open Cup, the sport's oldest competition in the nation.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/12/2023 (971 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

CHICAGO (AP) — The U.S. Soccer Federation refused Major League Soccer’s attempt to pull its top rosters from next year’s U.S. Open Cup, the sport’s oldest competition in the nation.

While MLS announced in a statement at 6 p.m. EST Friday that its board of governors decided to send teams to the tournament from its third tier MLS Next Pro rosters, the USSF characterized the league’s action only as a request that had been turned down.

“As we move forward, we will continue our review of the Open Cup to ensure it aligns with the U.S. Soccer strategic pillars,” the USSF said in a statement Wednesday. “We remain committed to addressing the needs and concerns of all of our members, including MLS, and other stakeholders to enhance and improve the U.S. Open Cup.”

FILE - Inter Miami forward Lionel Messi waves to the crowd during the second half of an MLS soccer match against Los Angeles FC, Sunday, Sept. 3, 2023, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Ryan Sun, File)
FILE - Inter Miami forward Lionel Messi waves to the crowd during the second half of an MLS soccer match against Los Angeles FC, Sunday, Sept. 3, 2023, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Ryan Sun, File)

MLS issued a statement four minutes later saying it “is committed to finding a viable solution for the 2024 tournament and is working to find a pathway that addresses its goals and concerns.”

“Moving forward, MLS will remain focused on increasing opportunities for up-and-coming players, a key component of the league’s player development strategy that ultimately benefits the U.S. national team program.”

MLS added “it believes that there are several essential goals and concerns that must be addressed in connection with the tournament, including developing young professional players and providing them with greater opportunity to play before fans in meaningful competition in a tournament setting, prioritizing player health and safety, reducing schedule congestion for MLS clubs, and enhanced investment from U.S. Soccer.”

The United Soccer League, which entered 46 of the 99 teams in this year’s tournament, said in a statement: “We stand with fans across the country who want to see it remain an authentic and inclusive competition.”

Houston beat Inter Miami this year in the U.S. Open Cup final, earning a berth next year in the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Miami star Lionel Messi was injured and missed the match.

The U.S. Open Cup began in the 1913-14 season, and MLS started play in 1996. Since the start of MLS, the only team not from the first tier to win the competition was the 1999 Rochester Raging Rhinos of the USL’s second-tier A-League, which beat the Colorado Rapids 2-0 in the final.

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/Soccer

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES