Alberta Métis settlement to get $9M in recovery funds: minister

Advertisement

Advertise with us

EDMONTON - A northern Alberta Métis settlement is to receive a one-time payment of $9 million from the provincial government to help it recover from a May wildfire.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/07/2023 (1129 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

EDMONTON – A northern Alberta Métis settlement is to receive a one-time payment of $9 million from the provincial government to help it recover from a May wildfire.

Jason Nixon, minister of seniors, community and social services, says the payment to East Prairie Métis Settlement, about 380 kilometres northwest of Edmonton, would help the community rebuild damaged homes.

He says the money is coming through the Indigenous Housing Capital Program.

Jason Nixon, Alberta's minister of children and family services, is seen during a news conference, in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. He says a one-time payment of $9 million to the East Prairie Métis Settlement would help the community rebuild homes damaged by wildfire in May. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol
Jason Nixon, Alberta's minister of children and family services, is seen during a news conference, in Calgary on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020. He says a one-time payment of $9 million to the East Prairie Métis Settlement would help the community rebuild homes damaged by wildfire in May. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Todd Korol

Nixon says there are no provincial or federal programs available to cover the emergency costs for rebuilding and repairing homes on Métis settlements.

The Alberta government approved a $175-million recovery program for municipalities and Métis settlements earlier this month for a variety of other costs.

In the last two months, wildfires burned more than 14,000 square kilometres, affecting about 38,000 Albertans.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 21, 2023.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version referred to Jason Nixon as the minister of children and family services. In fact, he is the minister of seniors, community and social services.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES