From enforcement to outreach: report proposes new approach to Toronto encampments
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/05/2024 (819 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
TORONTO – A new report is proposing that Toronto move to clear homeless encampments only as a “last resort,” and with at least 72 hours of notice.
The report, prepared by Toronto’s shelter and support services department and set to be presented to a municipal committee next week, recommends expanding an outreach model focused on moving those in encampments to housing.
It also proposes laying out clear processes for initiating and carrying out enforcement, which would include written notice.
However, the document says the city would reserve the right to act without notice if a “public safety or health and safety concern requires immediate action.”
Toronto is one of many Canadian cities grappling with rising homelessness and an overburdened shelter system.
Encampments cropped up in many of the city’s parks when the COVID-19 pandemic hit in 2020, as people left shelters out of fear of contracting the virus.
Last year, Toronto’s ombudsman found the city caused unnecessary harm and showed a lack of respect for those living in parks when it cleared three homeless encampments in the summer of 2021.
In a news conference Wednesday, Coun. Alejandra Bravo said the city has completed 28 of the ombudsman’s 31 recommendations, and work is ongoing to address the remaining three.
The report proposes a shift away from enforcement and clearing, “which only moves people from one place to the next, and does not work as an approach to encampments,” she said.
“While there’s significant public pressure to remove encampments, especially from parks, safety is the condition for removal, and people need to know why and how it’s going to happen.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 22, 2024.