Coast guard calls off search for two men in the St. Lawrence River, in Côte-Nord

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - The Canadian Coast Guard has called off a search and rescue operation after failing to locate two men who disappeared near Havre Saint-Pierre in Quebec’s Côte-Nord region. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 08/08/2025 (379 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – The Canadian Coast Guard has called off a search and rescue operation after failing to locate two men who disappeared near Havre Saint-Pierre in Quebec’s Côte-Nord region. 

It couldn’t confirm the identity of the men Friday, but previously told Radio-Canada their names are Grégory Landry and Nelson Boudreau.

The coast guard said the men and their boat were reported missing on Tuesday at around 9 a.m. 

A Canadian Coast Guard helicopter flies over the port of St. John’s, N.L., on Saturday, June 24, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
A Canadian Coast Guard helicopter flies over the port of St. John’s, N.L., on Saturday, June 24, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

The two reportedly left the harbour at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Aug 2., toward La Romaine, about 250 kilometres away.

The coast guard said someone had been expecting a call from them once they arrived there, but that call never came. 

The coast guard dispatched four vessels soon after the men were reported missing. By the afternoon, three aircraft joined the search, with other local first responders also taking part.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax announced the end of the search and rescue operation Thursday evening, at around 7:30 p.m.

The coast guard noted “these decisions are never taken lightly.”

The same day, gasoline cans, identified as belonging to the men, were found in the area around the Galibois Islands, nearly 400 kilometres east from La Romaine.

The coast guard said several factors, including the items found, estimated survival time, and the gap between when the men were last seen and when they were reported missing, were all taken into consideration before the search was called off. 

“The Canadian Coast Guard extends its deepest condolences to the victims’ loved ones,” a spokesperson wrote in a statement to The Canadian Press.  

Since the coast guard is no longer involved, Quebec provincial police are now taking the lead on the case. 

The police service for the region confirmed it has also suspended its investigation into the two men.

Spokesperson Hughes Beaulieu said it will be relaunched if new evidence is found.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 8, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES