Regina man receives 7-year youth sentence for stabbing death 20 years ago

Advertisement

Advertise with us

REGINA - Family members of a young man who was stabbed to death two decades ago hugged each other in a Regina courtroom Tuesday after a judge sentenced the convicted killer.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

REGINA – Family members of a young man who was stabbed to death two decades ago hugged each other in a Regina courtroom Tuesday after a judge sentenced the convicted killer.

Meanwhile, the mother of the 37-year-old attacker looked at her son while he was led out in handcuffs. 

The man, who was 17 at the time of the killing, was convicted of second-degree murder in the death of 19-year-old Misha Pavelick at a bush party in Regina Beach in May 2006.

Lorne Pavelick, the father of Misha Pavelick, speaks during a news conference in Regina, Tuesday, June 27, 2023, after RCMP announced charges have been laid over his son’s death in 2006. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeremy Simes
Lorne Pavelick, the father of Misha Pavelick, speaks during a news conference in Regina, Tuesday, June 27, 2023, after RCMP announced charges have been laid over his son’s death in 2006. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeremy Simes

In court Tuesday, Justice Catherine Dawson sentenced the man to the maximum youth term allowed for the offence —  seven years. He is to serve the first four years in an adult jail and the rest of the time in the community. 

The offender can’t be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. 

“(He) intentionally stabbed Misha Pavelick, and he had the intention to kill him or cause him grievous bodily harm,” said the judge.

“(He) was reckless whether death ensued. The results of stabbing a person in the chest near the heart area are reasonably foreseeable.”

The Crown had urged the man be sentenced as an adult, which carries a life term, with no parole eligibility for 10 years.

During the four-week trial last year, court heard the memories of witnesses were clouded by the passage of time.

During the night of partying and drinking, there was no clear definitive proof as to what happened.

The Crown argued the accused had access to a knife and that he and others made statements that were enough to convict. The accused also seemed distraught when he learned Pavelick had died.

The defence said the confused, conflicting and potentially self-serving statements of the witnesses didn’t add up to a life-altering guilty verdict.

A jury convicted the man in November.

Defence lawyer Andrew Hitchcock told reporters Tuesday that his client is considering an appeal.

“I certainly think he has grounds to appeal, but it’s going to be his decision,” Hitchcock said.

“My argument at trial was that there wasn’t enough evidence to say that he did this.”

The man’s family is worried, he added. 

“It’s a lot to take in when your family member is going away and when your family member is branded a murderer,” Hitchcock said.

Prosecutor Adam Breker said the Crown doesn’t plan to appeal.

“It was obviously a very long process getting to today,” Breker said. “We’re satisfied with the outcome from Justice Dawson.” 

As part of his sentence, the offender is prohibited from owning firearms or other weapons for at least 10 years. 

The judge also said the man needs rehabilitation, citing his past history of violence. 

And the man hasn’t tried to make amends with the victim’s family, Dawson added. 

“I am satisfied that (he) must be sentenced to the upper limit,” Dawson said. “Misha Pavelick lost his life.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 16, 2026

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES