Man accused in Toronto gold heist gets 13 years in U.S. prison for gun running

Advertisement

Advertise with us

U.S. authorities say one of the suspects in the massive gold and cash heist from Toronto's Pearson airport has been sentenced to 13 years in a federal American prison after attempting to smuggle handguns into Canada. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

U.S. authorities say one of the suspects in the massive gold and cash heist from Toronto’s Pearson airport has been sentenced to 13 years in a federal American prison after attempting to smuggle handguns into Canada. 

The United States Attorney’s Office says 27-year-old Durante King-Mclean, who had been staying in Florida, pleaded guilty last year to conspiring to traffic firearms.

The attorney’s office says Pennsylvania state police troopers arrested the man in September 2023 as he was heading north to Canada and found 65 handguns, each concealed in a sock, in his rental vehicle.

The seal of Department of Justice U.S. Attorney's Office is seen during a news conference in Washington on Thursday, May 22, 2025. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
The seal of Department of Justice U.S. Attorney's Office is seen during a news conference in Washington on Thursday, May 22, 2025. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

King-Mclean has also been accused in Canada of being the getaway driver in the April 2023 heist at Pearson.

Police have said the stolen cargo shipment contained 400 kilograms of gold, valued at more than $20 million at the time, and about $2.5 million in foreign currency.

It is unknown whether King-Mclean, who is from Ontario, will be extradited to Canada to face charges.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 24, 2026.

— With files from The Associated Press

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES