Manitoba property owner charged with shooting at accused thieves
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
DUFFERIN, MAN. – A homeowner in southern Manitoba is facing charges after Mounties say he shot at a group of people accused of stealing from his rural property.
Officers were called Saturday to a theft in the rural municipality of Dufferin, about 96 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg.
RCMP say four people went to the property earlier in the day and returned at night in two stolen vehicles.
They say the property owner, a 66-year-old man, was alerted by a motion camera and saw someone pouring fuel into one of the vehicles.
The owner allegedly confronted them and shot at the vehicles.
The property owner is facing six charges, including careless use of a firearm, while two men and a woman are facing theft-related offences.
The accused thieves remained at the scene when officers arrived, RCMP said in a news release Tuesday.
They were taken into custody and various items believed to be stolen from the property were found in the back of a vehicle. A fourth suspect got away in the second vehicle, which was found abandoned in a canola field a few kilometres away.
RCMP said Canadians can take reasonable steps to protect themselves or their property, but “any force used must be reasonable and proportionate in the circumstances, including the nature of the threat.”
“We recognize that having someone enter your property and steal belongings is a serious criminal offence that can have a lasting impact,” the news release said. “However, intervening directly can create significant risks to all involved.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.