Edmonton Pride organizers defend police presence after backlash from advocates

Advertisement

Advertise with us

EDMONTON - Organizers of Edmonton's Pride parade say they stand by their decision to have a police presence at this weekend's procession recognizing the LGBTQ+ community.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

EDMONTON – Organizers of Edmonton’s Pride parade say they stand by their decision to have a police presence at this weekend’s procession recognizing the LGBTQ+ community.

The Edmonton PrideFest Association announced plans for additional security and police presence this week after attacks at Lapu Lapu Day events in Vancouver and at Pride celebrations in Berlin.

In response, multiple groups, including the non-profit RaricaNow, said they would cut ties with the festival over the presence of police, among other issues.

A man holds a flag on a hockey stick during the Pride parade in Toronto on June 25, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mark Blinch
A man holds a flag on a hockey stick during the Pride parade in Toronto on June 25, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mark Blinch

The parade, one of the biggest Pride events on the Prairies, returned last year after similar disagreements over law enforcement involvement and reports that marginalized groups were being sidelined.

Festival producer Trevor Watson says police involvement is a reasonable precaution to protect attendees and ensure they return home safely after Saturday’s parade.

RaricaNow founder Adebayo Chris Katiiti says police have historically mistreated LGBTQ+ and racialized communities.

“We cannot honour Pride while ignoring its history and the voices that made it possible,” Katiiti said in a video on social media. “We cannot claim safety while welcoming the same systems that have harmed our communities.”

Edmonton police apologized in 2019 for officers’ mistreatment of the LGBTQ+ community, noting the brutal 1981 raid of the Pisces Health Spa, a former downtown bathhouse frequented by gay men.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 20, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Uncategorized

LOAD UNCATEGORIZED ARTICLES