Thalidomide survivors still hoping for funding after Ottawa misses deadline

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - The federal NDP chastised the Conservative government on Monday for missing a deadline to provide funding to 95 thalidomide victims.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/01/2015 (4224 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – The federal NDP chastised the Conservative government on Monday for missing a deadline to provide funding to 95 thalidomide victims.

The Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada had given the government until Monday to announce a funding package. But Health Minister Rona Ambrose told the group that it will take more time to determine how best to help them.

“Thalidomide survivors just do not have the luxury of time,” NDP MP Murray Rankin told the House of Commons during the daily question period.

Thalidomide survivor Mercedes Benegbi, executive director of the Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada, speaks with the media in the foyer of the House of Commons, Monday January 26, 2015 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Thalidomide survivor Mercedes Benegbi, executive director of the Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada, speaks with the media in the foyer of the House of Commons, Monday January 26, 2015 in Ottawa. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

“They have been suffering from their disabilities for their whole lives. The Canadian government told their mothers that thalidomide was safe. That means we have a moral responsibility to provide them with support now.”

Eve Adams, parliamentary secretary to Ambrose, responded that the government “will be able to make an announcement shortly.”

Mercedes Benegbi, a thalidomide survivor and executive director of the association, was on Parliament Hill to push for action. NDP leader Tom Mulcair greeted her in the foyer outside the House following the daily question period.

Ambrose’s office says senior Health Canada officials have been working around the clock and remain committed to a funding package.

The association says it’s still optimistic that Ottawa will come up with a proposal that will fully support thalidomide survivors.

People affected by thalidomide are dealing with missing and malformed limbs, deafness, blindness, disfigurement and other disabilities a half-century after the drug was prescribed to their pregnant mothers.

The Conservatives supported an opposition motion in the Commons late last year that would extend full support to the survivors.

Follow Lee-Anne Goodman on Twitter at @leeanne25

Report Error Submit a Tip

Canada

LOAD CANADA ARTICLES