The Latest: US backs reform efforts at UN health agency

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LONDON - The Latest on the World Health Organization trying to rein in travel abuses (all times local):

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/05/2019 (2649 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LONDON – The Latest on the World Health Organization trying to rein in travel abuses (all times local):

2:50 p.m.

The United States, the biggest contributor to the World Health Organization, says it supports efforts by the agency’s chief to restructure and find reforms in the organization’s budget.

FILE - In this Thursday, March 14, 2019 file photo, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) speaks at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland about the update on WHO Ebola operations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals.(Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP, File)
FILE - In this Thursday, March 14, 2019 file photo, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) speaks at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland about the update on WHO Ebola operations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals.(Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP, File)

Internal documents obtained by the Associated Press show WHO spent nearly $192 million on travel expenses last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the agency’s own rules by travelling in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and travelling without required approval.

Asked about WHO’s travel expenses on the sidelines of the U.N. health agency’s annual assembly, U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services Alex Azar said Monday the United States did not have specific concerns but was “supportive” of efforts by its chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, to restructure the agency.

Azar told reporters at the U.S. mission in Geneva that “we remain supportive of continued efforts to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the WHO.” He says Tedros “has our support and backing, but continued efforts of reform are needed.”

___

1 p.m.

The World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel expenses last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the agency’s own rules by travelling in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and travelling without the required approvals, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press.

FILE - In this Tuesday April, 16, 2019 file photo, an Ebola health worker is seen at a treatment center in Beni, Eastern Congo. Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, file)
FILE - In this Tuesday April, 16, 2019 file photo, an Ebola health worker is seen at a treatment center in Beni, Eastern Congo. Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, file)

The abuses could spook potential donors and partners as the organization begins its week-long annual meeting Monday in Geneva, seeking increased support to fight a devastating outbreak of Ebola in Congo and other deadly diseases including polio, malaria and measles.

The nearly $192 million is down 4% from 2017, when the agency pledged to rein in travel abuses following an AP investigation. But auditors found some WHO staffers were brazenly misrepresenting the reasons for their travel.

In response, WHO said “travel is often essential to reaching people in need” and noted more than half of its travel spending was on experts and country representatives

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Carney touts ‘substantial progress’ after Trump delays tariffs for three days

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Tuesday a last-minute deal to delay new tariffs from slamming an array of Canadian products for three days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in response there’s still important work to do.

"Over the last number of weeks, Canada has engaged in intensive discussions with the United States to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty and real benefits for Canadian businesses, workers, farmers and families," Carney said in a statement.

He said "substantial progress" has been made and Canada is focused on "building a stronger, more independent and more competitive economy at home."

Read
Updated: 6:27 AM CDT

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
7:19 PM CDT

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Read
Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
5:54 PM CDT