Ruling keeps OJ Simpson casino defamation claim before judge

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LAS VEGAS - A court officer says a Nevada judge, not a private arbitrator, should hear O.J. Simpson's defamation lawsuit against the Las Vegas Strip hotel-casino he blames for published accounts that he was drunk and disruptive before being banned from the property.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/01/2020 (2400 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LAS VEGAS – A court officer says a Nevada judge, not a private arbitrator, should hear O.J. Simpson’s defamation lawsuit against the Las Vegas Strip hotel-casino he blames for published accounts that he was drunk and disruptive before being banned from the property.

Representatives of The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas didn’t immediately respond to messages asking whether they’ll appeal a Monday ruling by a pretrial commissioner that keeps the case in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas.

The Cosmopolitan and corporate owner Nevada Property 1 LLC argue the former football star can’t be defamed because his reputation was already tarnished by his criminal and civil trials in the deaths of his ex-wife and her friend in Los Angeles decades ago and his conviction and imprisonment in Nevada in his 2007 armed robbery case.

FILE - In this July 20, 2017 file photo, former NFL football star O.J. Simpson appears via video for his parole hearing at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nev. A Las Vegas Strip hotel-casino is denying that Simpson was defamed when employees banned him from the property in November 2017 and a celebrity news site reported the paroled former football hero had been drunk, disruptive and unruly. In recent court filings, the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas rejects Simpson’s argument that his reputation was damaged by unnamed hotel staff member accounts cited in a TMZ report saying he was prohibited from returning after visits to a steakhouse and cocktail lounge. (Jason Bean/The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP, Pool)
FILE - In this July 20, 2017 file photo, former NFL football star O.J. Simpson appears via video for his parole hearing at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nev. A Las Vegas Strip hotel-casino is denying that Simpson was defamed when employees banned him from the property in November 2017 and a celebrity news site reported the paroled former football hero had been drunk, disruptive and unruly. In recent court filings, the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas rejects Simpson’s argument that his reputation was damaged by unnamed hotel staff member accounts cited in a TMZ report saying he was prohibited from returning after visits to a steakhouse and cocktail lounge. (Jason Bean/The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP, Pool)

Simpson blames unnamed hotel staff for telling celebrity website TMZ that he was prohibited from returning to the Cosmopolitan in November 2017. TMZ is not a defendant in the lawsuit.

In recent court filings, Simpson’s attorney, Malcolm LaVergne, raised the spectre of racial bias by hotel officials.

Simpson, 72, lives at a Las Vegas golf community after serving nine years in state prison for leading five men, including two with guns, in a bid to retrieve items that he said belonged to him from two memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room. He was released from prison in October 2017 and his parole runs until 2022.

His civil lawsuit acknowledges he received a notice prohibiting him from returning to The Cosmopolitan after he and two friends visited a restaurant and a lounge. He says he doesn’t know why, and denies he was “belligerent toward staff (or) patrons,” broke glass or damaged property.

Simpson was acquitted in Los Angeles in the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ronald Goldman. A California civil court jury found him liable for the killings in 1997 and ordered him to pay $33.5 million to victims’ families.

FILE - This July 1, 2018 file photo shows The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Strip hotel-casino is denying that O.J. Simpson was defamed in November 2017 when employees banned him from the property and a celebrity news site reported the paroled former football hero and armed robbery inmate had been drunk, disruptive and unruly. The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas rejects Simpson's argument that his reputation was damaged by unnamed hotel staff member accounts cited in a TMZ report saying he was prohibited from returning after visits to a steakhouse and cocktail lounge. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
FILE - This July 1, 2018 file photo shows The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Strip hotel-casino is denying that O.J. Simpson was defamed in November 2017 when employees banned him from the property and a celebrity news site reported the paroled former football hero and armed robbery inmate had been drunk, disruptive and unruly. The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas rejects Simpson's argument that his reputation was damaged by unnamed hotel staff member accounts cited in a TMZ report saying he was prohibited from returning after visits to a steakhouse and cocktail lounge. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
Report Error Submit a Tip

World

LOAD WORLD ARTICLES