1st US Army garrison on NATO’s east flank formed in Poland2 minute read Yesterday at 8:45 AM CDT
WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak and U.S. officials attended a ceremony Tuesday to formally upgrade the U.S. military presence in NATO member Poland amid the war in neighboring Ukraine.
There are more than 10,000 American troops stationed in the former communist bloc country. They belonged to Area Support Group Poland, which has now been upgraded to form the first U.S. Army garrison on NATO's eastern flank — a decision announced by President Joe Biden at the summit of NATO's 30 members last year.
The U.S. already has five army garrisons in Germany, one on Belgium and one in Italy.
“We appreciate it very much that U.S. troops are on a permanent basis in our country,” Blaszczak said. “It is very important that the Western world remains united.”
-7°C, Light snow
California faces more flooding after strong Pacific storm3 minute read Preview Updated: 7:41 AM CDT
Doctors expected to testify in Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski trial3 minute read Preview Updated: 6:44 AM CDT
Macron wants French pension plan implemented by end of year2 minute read Preview Updated: 7:32 AM CDT
Oregon lawmakers approve $200M for housing, homelessness3 minute read Preview Yesterday at 11:53 PM CDT
Pakistani intelligence officer, driver killed, officials say2 minute read Preview Yesterday at 11:42 AM CDT
Boris Johnson faces high-stakes grilling over ‘partygate’4 minute read Preview Updated: 6:56 AM CDT
Swiss suspend bonus payouts to Credit Suisse staffers1 minute read Preview Updated: Yesterday at 3:32 PM CDT
German prosecutors examined late pope in abuse probe2 minute read Preview Yesterday at 8:16 AM CDT
BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors looking into historical cases of sexual abuse by clergy in the Munich archdiocese said Tuesday that they initially investigated the late Pope Benedict XVI on suspicion of being an accessory to abuse, but later dropped the probe.
Munich prosecutors examined 45 cases of possible wrongdoing by church officials that arose from a report into how the archdiocese handled abuse cases between 1945 and 2019.
The then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was archbishop there from 1977-1982, and the report by a law firm commissioned by the archdiocese and released in January 2022 faulted his handling of four cases during that time. Benedict, who died in December nearly 10 years after his retirement as pope, asked forgiveness for any “grievous faults” in his handling of abuse cases, but denied any personal or specific wrongdoing.
Prosecutors said that that “three (at the time) living church personnel managers” were listed as suspects for a time during their investigation, German news agency dpa reported. They were Benedict; Cardinal Friedrich Wetter, his successor in Munich who served from 1982 to 2008; and Gerhard Gruber, a former vicar general.