Lululemon stores in China mostly closed due to novel coronavirus outbreak

Advertisement

Advertise with us

VANCOUVER - Most of Lululemon Athletica Inc.'s nearly 40 stores in China have been closed since early February amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, the company said.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/02/2020 (2372 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

VANCOUVER – Most of Lululemon Athletica Inc.’s nearly 40 stores in China have been closed since early February amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, the company said.

“We’re inspired by the resilience and commitment of our team in China as we navigate the emerging impacts of the coronavirus,” chief executive Calvin McDonald said in a statement Friday.

“The safety of our people is our highest priority, and we are adjusting store operations based upon the recommendations of local authorities.”

Lululemon Athletica's logo is seen on the outside of their new flagship store on Robson Street during it's grand opening in downtown Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday August 21, 2014. Lululemon Athletica Inc. says most of its stores in China have been closed since early February due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Lululemon Athletica's logo is seen on the outside of their new flagship store on Robson Street during it's grand opening in downtown Vancouver, B.C., on Thursday August 21, 2014. Lululemon Athletica Inc. says most of its stores in China have been closed since early February due to the novel coronavirus outbreak. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

Most of the Vancouver-based company’s 38 stores in China have been closed since Feb. 3 in accordance with Chinese guidance. Some are now operating on a reduced schedule, while the company’s online business continues to operate.

Other Canadian retailers with stores in China have been under the same orders as authorities work to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.

Tim Hortons, which has roughly 30 stores in the country mostly in the Shanghai region, temporarily closed several of its restaurants, executives said earlier this month.

Amer Sports Canada Inc., which owns the Salomon, Arc’teryx and other brands, owns nearly 50 stores in China across its various brands, spokesperson Bethan Williams wrote in an email earlier this month.

“Some of the stores are closed due to the closure of shopping malls, and most of them are having to shorten their business hours due to low traffic and instructions from the government,” Williams wrote, adding online sales haven’t seen much of an impact.

“Overall, it is too early to assess the operational and financial impacts of the virus.”

Lululemon said it is continuing to monitor the situation, and will provide and update on the financial and operational impact when it reports its fourth-quarter results in late March.

In January, the company raised its financial guidance for its fourth quarter, which ended Feb. 2, saying it expects more net revenue.

Earlier this month, Canada Goose Holdings Inc. cut its expectations for the year, citing “material negative impact” from the coronavirus.

The luxury parka maker lowered its expected annual revenue growth for its 2020 financial year with CEO Dani Reiss telling analysts during a conference call that the health crisis “has hit our biggest current growth market.”

Canada Goose saw significant reductions in revenue at stores and through online shopping across Greater China, while global travel disruptions affected its stores in North America and Europe.

Meanwhile, other retailers face manufacturing problems.

Indigo Books & Music Inc., which makes some of its products in China, has said that some of its new products will be delayed due to the outbreak.

For many companies, including Lululemon, China is a major market for expansion.

Restaurant Brands International, the parent company of Tim Hortons, announced in 2018 it plans to open more than 1,500 of the coffee-and-doughnut chain locations in the country over a 10-year period.

Lululemon announced last year plans to quadruple its international revenue within five years and projected revenue from China will exceed that in Europe, Australia and New Zealand by 2023.

“Despite the current disruption to our growing business in China, we remain confident in the long-term opportunities this market holds for Lululemon,” McDonald said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 21, 2020.

Companies in this story: (TSX:QSR, TSX:GOOS, TSX:IDG)

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
5:31 PM CDT

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
6:10 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
5:54 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |